Saturday, July 3, 2010

Have a laugh at my expense

Today is the first day in about 3 weeks that I have felt "better".  If you were following me before, you may remember a couple of despondent posts in which I talk about my battle with depression and the current downward spiral I was on.  Today was a good day!  Yesterday, not so much.  I cried.  A lot.  Everything just seemed to come crashing down.  The depression, the mice, work, the Google "issues"...

But today my mother-in-law took me out for lunch and pedicures.  I love my feet and I love having them pampered even more!  We went to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch.  I've never been thrilled with their entrees but that Dulce de Leche cheesecake?  Delicious!!

When we were leaving something happened.  Something frightening.  OK...to a NORMAL person, not prone to panic attacks, it wouldn't have been scary at all.  But my mother-in-law got quite a kick out of  watching me in my anxious state.  Let me start out by saying that my mother-in-law's van has those fancy automatic sliding doors. She pushes a button on her key ring and they will open up.  Let me also say that when we were leaving her house, she opened them, just as we were walking towards it.  This would have seemed perfectly normal, IF WE HAD KIDS WITH US!!  I asked her "Why are you opening the back doors?"  She told me that her husband taught her this "trick" to cool the van down quicker.

So let me get this straight.  When it is 90 degrees outside, and you are walking out to your van, if you open the back doors just before you get in, then you get in and close the back doors, the van will be cooled off?  Is that right?  I'll tell you this much.  I didn't notice a difference AT ALL!  I just rolled my eyes, thinking "Yeah...great idea..." and off we went for our afternoon of pampering.

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND...

We were walking out to the van after lunch and I was just strolling calmly along, within about 10 feet of the van, my mother-in-law trailing along behind me.  ALL OF A SUDDEN the van door opens up right in front of me which left me screaming (not loudly), jumping back and thinking someone was going to leap out of the stupid van to attack me!  And what did my mother-in-law do?  Did she comfort me, knowing how high my anxiety has been? Did she apologize?  NO.

SHE LAUGHED!

She just stood there laughing at me.  With my heart racing, I got in the car and had to admit that it must have been quite amusing.  I believe that you have to laugh at yourself sometimes.  Sometimes it is the only way to get through the hard times in your life (well, that and prayer of course!).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is good to have a good laugh sometimes, even over silly things. I scare easily too! Over the tinyest things and I'm super jumpy, as I've mentioned, I suffer from panic disorder too, so some things may seem ridiculous to some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of your post was how I open the doors to help the van cool off - and - you did not even notice a difference!

    ReplyDelete