Sunday, July 11, 2010

A recap...

Today was a good day.  Even knowing I have to go back to work tomorrow and start all over again, it was a good day.  I have to learn to really cherish my good days!  Kris and I looked at the calendar yesterday and really boiled down how much of this crazy nonsense is left.  This week I'm working noon-8pm.  Next week his mom is going to be able to help us out some, so we should have a fairly "normal" schedule.  The following week I'll be back to noon-8pm.  And THEN...the kids are going to be spending a week with my parents, which will be awesome for EVERYONE!  The kids LOVE spending time with Mammaw and Pappaw in the summer (any time really).  And then, there will only be ONE more week of me working noon-8pm.  So, in total, just 3 more "weird" weeks.  It feels good to break it down like that and look at it that way.  My mother-in-law was talking to me this evening about how this is her last week of summer school, so she'll be able to help us for a couple weeks before school starts.  I said "It's only one week."  And she said no, it was two because she could help the week before they go to my parents.  I questioned this, because I thought for sure she was taking a vacation that week and WE were watching Brandon all week.  She had to think about this before finally agreeing that she wasn't going to watch them during her vacation!  Love you and all Cindy, but it doesn't make much sense for you to take a vacation that last week of July and have us watch Brandon if you are going to watch our kids that week!  How about you just take a REAL vacation, without ANY kids!  Silly woman...

I realized today (not for the first time) how very blessed I am.  We could have been entrusted to care for a severely autistic child, instead of one who is "only" developmentally delayed.  We could have been given a child whose disruptive behavior was dangerous to others and beyond a handful on a day to day basis, instead of one who has OCD tendancies and some temper issues.  We haven't had to deal with serious health issues beyond asthma in our house.  The worst "disease" the kids' have had is eczema and Livvy's soy bean allergy.  Granted, I have NO idea what is in store for us over the years, but there is nothing I can do about possible injuries or illnesses.  So...I am blessed.  And I am so thankful that God hasn't asked me to endure anything worse than we've already been through with our kids.  My heart breaks for those who have had to go through MUCH worse.  I can only hope that should God send us something more serious, that I am able to bear it with strength and grace and dignity, as so many other people do every day.

2 comments:

  1. I admire you for being grateful. It's hard to remember to be grateful when most of the time, we're so focused on what we wish we had or what we wish we didn't have to deal with. Thanks for the reminder to remember one's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your point about me not babysitting during my vacation. Yes, God has blessed you and Kris.

    ReplyDelete