Friday, July 16, 2010

I am THAT mom!

I'm the mom who laughs at her crying kids.  Be honest.  How many of you have, at one time or another, found yourself with a crying child in front of you, crying even harder because you are laughing at them?  Olivia is four.  Katherine and Kaleb are 9 and 8 respectively.  We made everyone go to bed at 7:30, which meant that by 8pm they were all still up and wandering about, trying NOT to go to bed.  We told Kaleb and Katherine they could read until 8:30pm.  We've been letting them stay up late (like between 9-10pm!) but their behavior as of late has been less than desirable.  So, I came home from work a little early tonight and we put the kids in bed.  Not because I came home!  Just because that was the timing.

So Olivia found out that Kat and Kaleb were reading and of course, she didn't think this was fair.  I had already put her back in bed twice.  The second time she just wailed!  I finally called her out to the living room to talk with her.  I had to get to the bottom of the wailing and stop it.  She shares a room with Abbey and Abbey doesn't need ANY excuses NOT to go to sleep.

Not as cute when she is throwing a tantrum, but still hard to resist...
Livvy tells me, almost incomprehensible, "I want to sleep with Tahtin [her word for Katherine] and my BUH...NEEEEE!"  What?  Could you repeat that?  "I want to sleep with Tahtin and my BUH...NEEEEEEEEEE!"  What do you want to do with your bunny?  You want to sleep with Katherine?  "No.  I want to sleep with Tahtin and my BUN...NEEEEEE!"  I'm laughing at this point, wishing I could stealthily grab my phone and start videoing her, because the way she was annunciating was just hilarious.  She tried to tell me that the only way she could go to sleep is if she had someone in bed next to her.  When do we EVER let her have someone next to her in bed?  She goes to sleep EVERY night with no one beside her.

Anyway...I just sat there laughing and she kept crying harder, though it was only half crying and half dramatics.  I finally told her she wasn't even crying real tears.  She responded by squeezing her eyes really tightly, trying to force tears to come out!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, I've laughed at my 4-yr.-old. The drama that kid can bring is Oscar worthy! He always knows when he's pouring it on a little thick and usually he can't hide how proud he is of the theatrics. A grin escapes every time!

    You have to laugh. Otherwise we'd all cry. All the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and no, you do NOT have Word Verification on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all kids go through that. Just testing to see how firm the boundaries are, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Kids can be so dramatic ;) I foundyour blog through Beth's and have just subscribed :)

    ReplyDelete