Friday, July 23, 2010

Southern Fried Snark

Southern Fried Snark is giving away an iPad and you should check them out at www.southernfriedsnark.com

Thanks to Kludgy Mom's Friday Flip Offs, I discovered Southern Fried Snark today!  One of the writers there commented on that post and so I've spent the last 30 minutes checking out her blog and Southern Fried Snark.  Oh how I love sarcasm!

Anyway, while I was there, I saw that they are giving away an iPad and while my husband hates all things Apple/Mac, I'm entering it anyway!  Sorry honey...I probably won't win anyway.  But if I do...well, I'll make it up to you somehow.  ;-)

My  mother-in-law has this odd obsession with buying my kids things for HER birthday.  I'm not complaining...just pointing out that it is unusual.  Yesterday was Cindy's birthday and she decided to take the kids shopping and bought them all new backpacks and an outfit each.  When Kris told me, I said "Did she buy them shoes?"

You see, I have this thing.

This...desire...

this need...

for my kids to start out the school year with two NEW things: backpacks and shoes.  Perhaps it is because I remember starting out my new school years this way.  Perhaps it is because they wear out backpacks and shoes so quickly that they always need new ones anyway once summer is over.  Perhaps it's just because I'm crazy a great mom who loves my kids and wants them to have the very best!

Kris on the other hand, well, he wants them to wear the same pair of shoes until they are 15 (Heck, he'd be happy if they just stopped growing up altogether!), whether it fits them or not.  OK, it's not *that* bad...but to him, it seems like I am always buying the kids new shoes.  I seriously am not.  But once I heard Cindy had bought them backpacks, I realized that problem #1 was solved.  Kris thinks "Well, they have 25 backpacks each by now. Can't they just use one of their old ones?"  Yeah Kris...Katherine will keep carting around the one that is down to one strap, even though I have duct-taped it together to make it last through this PAST school year.  We'll just put some more duct tape on there and she'll be good to go.    Abbey can keep using the one with all the holes that we also doctored with duct tape.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I learned they had new backpacks, because it was one less thing we would need to get them.  But I did give my mother-in-law a hard time last night for not buying them shoes as well!  Perhaps I should have blogged about the shoe issue prior to now, and she would have just known to buy them shoes instead of new outfits...because she's nice like that.  But alas, I did not.  So Kris, I'm sorry, but it looks like we'll be shelling out the $40 (TOTAL-our kids get the coolest looking $10 shoes we can find) for new shoes this year.

1 comment:

  1. I should have read the post before buying them shoes. I did enjoy buying them backpacks, outfits, oh . . . and a couple of days later, 3 of them new shoes. Now only if the shoes last.

    ReplyDelete