Saturday, July 31, 2010

Confession

I have a confession.  This is something that is going to be really hard for me to share.  I like my privacy.  I like to keep my faults to myself.  I think it is only natural.  But I have decided, based on a recent conversation with Kris, to expose a little bit more of myself here.  And so this post is going to be my confession.

I have a mustache.

That's right.  A mustache.  Please bow your heads in shame with me.

You know, it's really embarrassing.  And when my hormones are really out of whack (which is most of the time), it's darker.  While I would love to bleach it so that it's not as obvious, I have never had great success with bleaching.  Waxing?  Well...it's great for the first day or two, until it starts growing back.  My hair (head, leg, lip, etc...) is dark and grows back even darker.  It's just something I was cursed with.  And I hate it.  I'm actually really self-conscious about it.  Imagine my horror, when a month or so ago Katherine went to a friend's house and the mother tells me via Facebook that our daughters were in the back of the van arguing about whose mom had the darker mustache!!!  Oh and I should add that I was horrified by the young girls discussing it, NOT the mother telling me about it on Facebook.  I paid Katherine back on that one by assuring her she too would have a mustache someday!

I am telling you all of this because my dear husband decided to confront the hideous embarrassment that is attached to my face today.  You see, as if having the dark masculine thing were not enough, there is this ONE hair that is longer than the rest.  And very nonchalantly, Kris asks me how much laser hair removal costs.  Can you believe that???  Now, if you're sitting there thinking about how insensitive he is, let me assure you he really isn't.  We've talked in the past about my desire to start at the top and work my way down, as far as laser hair removal is concerned.  I've always told him that if we had money, I would want to get this done.  SO...while I am sure the comment was prompted by his disgust of my mustache, he was trying to figure out a way for me to do this.  I'm sure there is only a small part of him that hates that mustache as much as I do.  But me?  I loathe it.  It is a constant source of embarrassment and self-consciousness for me.  And Kris knows this and so he told me that when the bed is paid off, I can start the process and make payments on it.  The bed should be paid off in November/December and then we can start the process of making me look more like a woman!  I'm excited.  And apparently very vain.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! HUGE kudos for saying it! I think ALL women do... but it's everyone's secret. Have you tried an epilator? It's basically like automatic tweezers. It hurts, but it works... especially with some ice to numb the area first. I use this - http://www.emjoi.com/detail/EMJ+AP-96 - not religiously, but, sometimes. Like I said, it hurts. But, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have blond facial hair, which doesn't seam as bad. But here is my confession, since u shared I think it is only fair I confess to....I have hair all over my entire face. Like baby blond hair all over it, so guess what i do...I shave it. It doesn't grow back thicker, so I shave it about once a week. My husband doesn't even no, no one knows. Except you, and all of your readers:O)
    Hope this makes you feel better:O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...it's good to know I'm not alone! Braley-how funny that you said no one but me and my readers knows! Don't worry, half of them are just followers, not real readers. :-) Your secret is safe with me (and my readers!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was incredibly brave. Kudos to you. I am naturally a hairy sort of person (I blame my dad!!), but no moustache for some reason. But I do have hairy toes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am a new subscriber from The Nutritionist Reviews and giveaways. Look forward to reading more of your posts. Feel free to subscribe to my blog too and check out my 5 giveaways going on now!

    I have a little mustache too..I just shave it in the shower.

    ReplyDelete