Saturday, April 28, 2012

You never know the impact you will have

This is a letter, to someone who had a very profound impact on my life when I was a young teenager.  I started to just write this on his Facebook wall, but it began to get incredibly too long to be deemed a "simple" wall post.  So, I will write my thank you letter right here, and if you're reading it, you know who you are.  If you're not reading it, shame on you.  I posted the link on your wall!  ;-)

__

To a wise brother in Christ:

A long time ago, there was a teenage girl that had a pretty messed up way of thinking (about herself specifically).  She will always remember with fondness the time you spent as the intern youth minister at her church in Indiana, working with the kids and taking the time to listen and just be a friend.  She will remember your friendship and letters and how, in one of them, you asked her to "ponder" Proverbs 31:30.

"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

In all the years to come, she would always think back to that verse, remember the only person who ever pointed it out to her, and eventually KNOW in her head the truth of it.  She could always understand the point, but until about a month ago, her heart didn't make the connection.  It would take her another 15+ years and a LOT of heartache to be able to say today "I finally get it."

I never understood that verse like I do now, finally, at the age of 33.  And I just wanted to say thank you.  Because I don't think that you will ever fully know the impact you had on my life while you were at Eastview, and that something you tried to help me understand so many years ago is finally being understood.

I am thankful for Facebook, for allowing me to reconnect with you, so that as I am making these new discoveries about myself and my identity, I can tell you how grateful I am that you were a part of my life, and that, while it took me a stubbornly long amount of time, the truth of that verse finally got through to me, and I know that God used you to help me on this journey to where I am today.

I will forever be grateful for your friendship back then and your words of wisdom.  I cannot read or hear that verse without thinking grateful thoughts of you and the impact you had on my life.

I just thought you should know.

Redeemed and being remade,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment