Thursday, April 7, 2011

If you really knew me

Mama’s Losin’ It

#3. If you really knew me...

...you would know that I am so NOT a girly girl.

Much like Pinnochio, I've been a puppet.  For years. Most of my life, really.  Never being one to conform just because everyone else is, I did not wear makeup in high school.  I did not wear dresses unless forced to by my mother or an obligation depending on which church I went to.  I didn't wear jewelry.  When Kris and I got engaged, I told him 1/5 of a carat would do for my engagement ring.  He didn't listen, and bought me a 1/4 carat...but he knew better than to go higher than that because #1.  He couldn't afford it.  #2.  He knew that I was not into jewelry, especially the big, flashy, kind.

Over the years, I've tried to tug on my puppet strings a bit and break out of my tomboy ways.  I'd wear makeup from time to time.  I'd put on a skirt/dress.  Primarily because I was pregnant every summer for several years in a row and let's face it...when you're hot AND pregnant, you'll pretty much do whatever you can to stay cool.  With regards to makeup, I'd wear it for a couple of days and then revert back to my "I'm so thankful I have a face that doesn't need makeup" attitude.  Well, some days it was that.  Some days it was "I am so NOT going to take the time and effort for that girly nonsense!"

But now, the day has come.  The day that my magical fairy grants me a wish and I am no longer a puppet.  I am a REAL girl!  I am not sure how I feel about this though.

You see...for quite some time now (MONTHS!), I have been wearing makeup.  I keep it in the van and put it on before I go into work or church or wherever.  That's the only way it gets on my face.   I can't explain it.  Well, I probably could, but it's really boring and stupid and so let's just leave at "I put it on in my van."

And then, my friend Nichole decided to start a business.  A jewelry business.  A Premium Jewelry business.  And because I'm pretty much the best friend ever, I BEGGED her to let me have a show for her!  What with my love for jewelry and all.  Wait...that's not quite how it happened.   Oh that's right...she asked me if I would host a party for her and I agreed.  Because I am still pretty much the best friend ever.  But I wasn't that thrilled about the product itself...being that I am NOT a jewelry person.  So Nichole came over, did her presentation and showed us all the jewelry...and I found that it all was quite beautiful.  And as long as I was getting free jewelry...I could maybe try wearing it.  I thought it would stop there.

I thought I'd get a few pieces and probably forget to wear them.  And then, at Kohl's the other day, I ashamedly caught myself holding jewelry in my hand, thinking about purchasing it!  I immediately texted Nichole, demanding to know what she had done to me!  She corrupted me.  And now I wear something and think "I need some jewelry to go with that."  What is wrong with me???

When my jewelry actually arrived yesterday, I was like a little girl at Christmas, like I am whenever I get any new Pampered Chef item!  And guess what I'm wearing today!?!  Makeup, earrings AND a necklace. 

*gasp*

Imagine that...Jamie is finally growing up...

My mind, face and wardrobe are all confused!

7 comments:

  1. Great post..glad I found you through Mama Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's awesome! I totally used to be a tomboy myself, but I too find I can't leave the house without my make-up and jewelry on! You go girl-embrace your inner girlyness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Girly Girl World! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome!! There are so many great things about being a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go! It feels great to wear make up sometimes and jewelry too. This is coming from a tomboy. Stopping by from Mama Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Welcome to the girly-hood! It's pretty cool. Although, I'm still not on board with makeup. Maybe one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! "Even an old barn looks good with a new coat of paint." Seriously, EVERYONE looks better with some kind of makeup. It just portrays self esteem, especially for a mother of young children. Enjoy!

    visiting from mama kats

    ReplyDelete