Saturday, April 2, 2011

General Hospital

How many of you out there watch a soap opera?

A long time ago...when I was in high school...I wanted to watch General Hospital.  My mom didn't want us watching it...but sorry mom...sometimes we would sneak and watch it when we got home from school.  In college, I never had time to watch it.  But after I had Katherine and was home during the day all the time, I started watching it again.

First of all, it amazes me that you can go YEARS without watching a show and then within 2 episodes be caught back up.

What is it about soap operas?  The acting is typically horrible.  The storyline is replayed over and over again.  Characters die.  But then wait...they're not really dead.  Oh wait....yes they are.  That's just their twin.  Wait...now it's the real person and the twin is the psychopath.  And it goes like this over and over again.

Or how about the fact that everyone is related in one way or another.  Sonny, on General Hospital, has sired at least 27 children, hasn't he?  And the women he hasn't impregnated, he has slept with.  And Brenda?  She was dead several times.  Sonny's wives always die or divorce him.  How many wives have they killed off for that guy?  And the amount of divorces on that show...it's just so unrealistic.

And yet...I'm drawn in.  Every time.  I don't have Tivo or DVR, so I can't save shows to watch later.  If it doesn't  come on Hulu.com, I don't watch it.  And then, about 2 months ago, I saw that it was finally on Hulu.  So I have started watching it again, and while so stupid with horrible acting, I'm once again drawn in, and every Friday I'm left wondering what will happen next week!

So, what is it?  Why are soap operas as intriguing as they are?  Why?

Oh and my last question is this:

Will Sonny ever age?  I mean, he looks exactly the same as he looked 18 years ago!  No younger, no older.  It's like the man doesn't change at all.

1 comment:

  1. I have watched All My Children off and on since I was 13... so like a long time! I only watch on summer break and school breaks!

    ReplyDelete