Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Music That Moves Me - Week 1

If you haven't noticed it yet, I LOVE music.  It is a very important part of my life and who I am.  Music makes me happy.  Music brings me comfort.  Music soothes my soul.  And since recently I have opened up my heart to an entire new genre of music (Christian music that I mostly avoid for the last several years), I decided that instead of posting every day the newest songs that I hear and love, I would dedicate Tuesdays to "Music That Moves Me."  Sure I could have done it on Mondays to keep up with the alliteration, but well, I don't want to wait until next week and I can't in good conscience lie about the day I posted this, so Tuesdays it is.  I never claimed to be the world's most patient person.  I am far from that and those of you that know me well are vigorously nodding your heads in agreement.  To you, I say, SHUT UP.  ;-)

I heard two songs yesterday that made me stop, pull out the laptop, and look up the lyrics.  So that you can fully appreciate the songs, I will try each week to find YouTube videos that have the lyrics with them, even if the videos themselves are lame.  Some of them aren't.  I'm not making fun of ALL videos with lyrics.  I'm simply stating a fact that SOME of them are lame.  Case in point:  there are way too many grammar/spelling errors in the today's second video, but you'll just have to look past it (yes, at least two is too many).  They have the lyrics and the music, so that's what is important, right? If the lyrics aren't in the video, I'll include them in my post.

I know that music doesn't speak to everyone; but to me, it is more than just music, more than just something you listen to. I believe that it can be a form of prayer and music has always taken the shape of prayers for me.  Since I was a little girl.  If I couldn't fall asleep at night or I was afraid, as a child I would sing hymns or praise songs in my head until I fell asleep.  I've always done this, except for the last several years, when I refused to think about real prayer.  But now that I am embracing freedom in Christ, music has once again taken up residence in my heart and in my prayer life.

This weeks songs are lyrically profound and have the added bonus of having an awesome sound as well!

First up, is Sanctus Real, "Whatever You're Doing".  The entire theme of these last seven years has been "broken".  I was broken.  My heart had been broken.  My marriage had been broken.  And this song really seems to describe what happened to me on Friday, when I finally surrendered.  My favorite line is "it feels like chaos but somehow there's peace; though it's hard to surrender to what I can't see".  So true.



Next, "For the Life of Me" by This Beautiful Republic.  This is the first song I have ever heard by them and I know it won't be the last.  Disclaimer, I almost didn't post this video because there is at least one word that is spelled wrong, but I really wanted you to see the words, so I chose to tolerate it.  I know, I know.  This goes against my grammar anxieties, but it was necessary. I can't really put any words to this song but simply show you what is already there; I will say that if I HAD to choose a favorite line (and it happens to be the one that is misspelled!), it would be "I've disappointed you, like a rose that never blooms. Failing to display my heart to you".  And even though "disappointed" should only has ONE "s", take a listen.  Very powerful song!




No comments:

Post a Comment