Tuesday, August 10, 2010

In need...

...of a new van...

We drive a 1993 Ford Explorer and a 1998 Chevy Astro Van.  Both have been good to us, though we've put several thousand dollars into both over the years.  I've had many a ranting post about my Ugly Red Van and the fact that the A/C and heat only work when I am NOT in it!  It's pathetic and I am not really even exaggerating...much...  The van itself functions and really has treated us well...HOWEVER, the fact that the passenger side window doesn't roll down and the fact that there is only A/C up front, that only works at random intervals and doesn't really blow out at full force when it does is frustrating.  So, Kris drives the van, because it hates me and I it.   Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is something perpetually wrong with the brakes, even after replacing them.  They are way more "jerky" than they need to be and sometimes the van will just lurch forward, just for  the heck of it.  While it runs, if definitely has issues and it is only "comfortable" for about 3 months out of the year in the Midwest.

My Explorer has been a friend to me.  We have had it for about 3 years now and I love it.  It looks pathetic has so much charm!  I love driving it and while it is technically "illegal" (or maybe "unlawful"?), Katherine rides up front and so me and all the kids can fit in it.  Let's talk for a moment about some of its charm, shall we?  The ceiling is...well, I'm not sure WHAT it is.  It looks like someone took a knife to it and proceeded to stab it over and over again.  Like maybe the previous owner used to use the Explorer as his way of coping with stress...fight with the wife?  Go stab the roof of the car.  It's the only logical choice!  Of course, you also have to consider that if they were fighting, they may have also had to make up at some point, and so perhaps the scratches could have been caused some other way...


And then there's the door.  My driver's side door.  The handle cover broke a year or so ago.  At first, it was still attached.  I just had to be careful when I shut the door, so that it didn't come unattached.  And then one day, it just broke off completely.  Now, the easiest way to shut the door is to roll the window down and pull with all my might!  I usually just grab the inside and pull, at great risk to my own safety I might add...some of the plastic is cracked and I could totally slice my arm open.  I have this sticky residue on my hand after shutting my door because of the adhesive something or other that is worn off along some sort of cable inside the door.  I'm so technical...and I am not even going to broach the subject of the passenger side window not going down, or more often than not, not going back UP after you accidentally roll it down because you forgot it wouldn't go back up!

And last year, the A/C decided to function at half capacity.  I made it through the summer without MUCH complaining (yeah right)...and then it struck this year. Summer that is.  And my poor Explorer just can't keep up.  When it idles, it switches from A/C to heat.  OK...not quite that bad...but it's not cool air that blows out.  At. All.  And these 100+ degree days do not help!  I know I should be grateful that I am not driving my van...but well...I just want A/C that works...


But that's not why we are looking for a new van.  We recently took our Explorer in for an oil change.  By recently I mean yesterday.  I'm not sure why I phrased it the way I did initially and instead of changing it, you are getting the thoughts straight from my crazy head.  Our mechanic (who is very trustworthy) told us that there are three problems with the brakes, an issue with the exhaust, and one of the tires needs to be replaced immediately.  Oh and he didn't tell us this, but my car dies frequently right after I start it.  Even after revving the engine...it's quite embarrassing.  In addition to the other problems with it, the mechanic told us that now may be a good time to consider NOT putting any more money into.  So...when your mechanic who wants your money tells you to consider NOT wasting any more money on it, you wonder one of two things.  #1.  Is he just a really great guy who has his customers' best interest at heart OR #2.  Is he starting to feel guilty about all the thousands of dollars we have already given him?  I'll choose option #1 please!

So here we are...not knowing where to go. We already had no clue where to come up with the extra $300/month we would need to cover the raise in tuition at Grace.  God provided the exact amount we needed there, so I have no doubts he will do it again.  Kris even met with a loan officer today to see if we could make it work.  The good news is that it will only cost us about $200 extra/month.  The bad news is that we don't have an extra $200/month!!  We kept talking about giving up our Y membership to try to make up the tuition money but it turned out that we didn't have to.  So we committed to going back to the Y next week after school starts.  NOW...we WILL give it up to make a van payment and we are almost halfway to our needed additional income.  If we shave off $50/paycheck from our grocery money (which I hate but am willing to make work), there is another $100/month.  So we'll still have to try to figure out where the rest will come from but we are hoping to go this week to test drive some used vans and maybe come home with a new-to-us one by the weekend.  If we don't, we'll probably have to sock another $200 into the Explorer just to make it safe to drive.  HOPEFULLY it will run without blowing out the tire until we can replace it.

Oh I didn't mention that we are going to attempt to become a one vehicle household again.  We're hoping to trade in BOTH of our vehicles and maybe get about $500 for the trade-in.  I'd love for $1000, but seeing as how our van is a previous total loss (oh did I not mention that?), and my car is so old with so many problems, I don't think we will get much.  BUT...God does amazing things sometimes and you never know...so there will be more to come on that as it develops!

No comments:

Post a Comment