Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's a conspiracy!

I think that the schools and the major store chains are conspiring against parents everywhere.

Tonight I went shopping for school supplies.  At Target.  I couldn't find graph paper anywhere.  I couldn't find a marble composition notebook.  I couldn't find a GOOD boy's lunch box.  They had these super cute ones for girls and then just plain ugly ones, or Thomas the Tank Engine for boys.  Well, that's fine, except my son isn't quite 20 yet and he's not 4 anymore.  So...those are out.

And what's more?  The school itself is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.  Packages of 200 sheets of paper?  Like I'm so stupid that I don't realize they KNOW that Target only sells packages of 150???  You can't trick me.  I'm not giving you an extra 50 sheets of paper!!  OK...really, I probably will give them the extra paper, but what is up with that?  It's almost as if they went to the stores, found out how many sheets of paper were in the package, and then upped it, just a little.

Needless to say, I did not finish all of the shopping that I needed to do.  I think that the stores come to some sort of a truce when it's back-to-school time.  I think Target carries 1/4 of the supplies, Kmart another 1/4, Walgreens another 1/4, and some other store I'll never get to has the rest.  And I'm the kind of person who only likes to go to one place.  I hate going to more than 1-2 stores at one time.  Especially when it is 175 degrees outside.  I'm a big girl.  And I'm lazy.  And I think I just might be onto something here...

7 comments:

  1. haha oh man!! That is insane. If I ever have kids (fingers crossed), I am doing all of my shopping online! I would go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...and just imagine having to buy school supplies for FOUR kids, not just one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a pervasive problem. read another blog post about this just a few days ago. we have the same thing here, too. Finally, I gave in this year and paid up for the prepackaged supply sets the PTA sells!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Officemax is having great deals... penny deals each day where you can get three-six items a day for the penny... they also have a bunch of ten cent items. Check it out online

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had trouble with the graph paper, too. I went to three stores and just gave up and bought the "quad" paper. And I bought two packages of 150 count. Whatever. I'm tired. It takes major scheduling just to get out to shop without kids so I'll have to say to my kid's teachers (as I do to my kids,) "you get what you get and don't throw a fit!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie, I have a composition book for Abbey, and a few more. Jenn picked me up 20 and so far my class has only 14.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy I'll take the composition notebook for Abbey. Akiyo...I almost bought that quad paper, because it looked like graph paper to me. But I haven't yet. I'm going to go to Walmart sometime for the remainder of the supplies, hoping to get the rest of it done. Well...that and Sam's to get the baby wipes and Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete