Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Too busy for bridge

You would think that with the kids being gone and Kris and I working a normal schedule that I would have all kinds of free time to write.  Sadly, this has not been the case.  I'm having to sneak in some writing time over a lunch break just to write this.  But what I have to say is too important NOT to write.

There is a problem sweeping through our generation, through the world, right now.  There are a growing number of children who are growing up without the essentials.  Food, shelter, clothing.  And an understanding of the most beloved card game: BRIDGE.

Yes.  Bridge.  It's a travesty that so many young people these days have never even heard of Bridge, let alone are not being taught how to play.  I believe that it is ESSENTIAL in life.  Now, I didn't always feel this way.  Like you, six years ago, I thought "Isn't that for old people?"  I mean, who HASN'T written a blog post making fun of old people who play bridge?  

I'm here to put an end to this epidemic in our country.  It is a crime to go through life, unable to define such terms as "Jacoby transfer", "Blackwood", and "Gerber".  I know you're skeptical.  I know you're thinking "Who IS this crazy person who won't shut up about bridge?"  You may even move me from "Blogs I love to read" in your precious Google Reader to "Blogs I read because I'm afraid the author will hunt me down and kill me if I don't".  What?  You don't have that one in your reader?  I suggest you add it.  Right away.  I'm watching you.

This really struck me the other night.  I have constantly been teased and harassed because I not only KNOW how to play bridge, but I enjoy it.  Let me correct that.  I don't just ENJOY bridge.  I LOVE it.  Sometimes it consumes me.  I want to be a better player.  I want to learn new conventions and rules that will enhance my ability to master the game.  I want those dearly sought after Master Points.  And, I want everyone around me to understand what a great game bridge is.  You really just don't understand it until you have played it.  It combines so many great card games, to become a game that stands above all the rest.  It takes time and practice, but before long, you find yourself hooked.  I know that this isn't the first time that I have gushed on and on about bridge.  And I'm sure it will not be the last.

Kris and I were driving to our friends' house Friday night.  We were headed to play bridge and instead of talking about our day, or our work, we began a discussion about how to play a hand of bridge.  Instead of the usual conversations people have, Kris and I talked about different bids or conventions or rules and what they mean.  We analyzed hands and discuss how we could have played a hand better.  Yes I know...we have issues!  We even managed to squeeze bridge in Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night AND Monday night.  That is why I haven't been writing.  I've been too busy honing my skills, and taking advantage of the time we have had to play without the kids.  I've had a blast too!  In fact, I think I may go through a bit of withdrawal tonight since we aren't playing.  But hopefully we can squeeze in one more night of bridge tomorrow before we return to life with 4 crazy kids!

So, if you are in the St. Louis area, my husband and I would love to teach you and your spouse or friend or whomever you'd like to bring along to play bridge.  We need more people to fall in love with this game so that when we grow old, we have someone to play with.  

3 comments:

  1. I do agree that it is a lot of fun and even more fun with good company. I am still laughing though about how you guys, including my dad, sounded like dorks when mentioning the bridge tactics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you up to teaching Dean and me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up to teaching YOU. Dean's too slow...like his thinking...if he takes 20 minutes to lead in Pinochle we'll be there for hours waiting for him to play a card in bridge. You can be Faith's partner!

    ReplyDelete