Sunday, August 22, 2010

Emergencies abound

We're a freakin' mess right now.  My efforts to go get a massage keep getting thwarted...two weeks in a row!!  The Little Bishops are out of commission...two of them anyway.  First it was me at the ER last weekend with my back.  This weekend looked to be a relaxing, CALM weekend.  I guess my first mistake was being optimistic.  You see, I live quite comfortably in pessimism.  I would prefer to be pleasantly surprised after thinking the worst would happen than be disappointed because I hoped something good would happen.  It's flawed thinking...but it's what I do.

 Let me just tell you, in Katherine's words, what happened this weekend while I was out to lunch with my mother-in-law.

"We were at the park and Daddy was pushing me too hard and I fell on my back."  At least, that's what she told the ER doctor.  It is SORT OF what happened...I was afraid they would call child services on us!  Apparently, Kris took the kids to the park for a picnic.  They were having a wonderful time.  Kris had pushed Kaleb and Kat on this zip line type thing.  Kat had gone twice, and the third time Kris pushed her harder.  When it got towards the end and "skipped" Kat lost her grip and fell hard, landing on her back.

Poor Kris was pretty upset about it.  I got a call from him saying he thought Kat needed to go to the ER.  He and I met at his mom's and we took Katherine over to Missouri Baptist, since I had had such a good experience there last weekend (despite the circumstances).  They were incredibly quick...from start to finish we were there for maybe only 45 minutes!  No x-rays were needed and Kat just has some muscle tightness/strain.  Doctor said she'd probably be in more pain tomorrow, but nothing broken, no external bruising and except for laying on her side or bending all the way over, she isn't even in pain.  That girl is going to extremes in an effort to be like her mother...of all things to hurt she hurts her back?  Not her leg or her arm.  HER BACK.  What's next?  Arthritis in her neck?

So...we finally get back home after picking up the younger kids from Kris' mom's house.  Things are going well.  We have Kat settled in and we are watching movies in bed when we hear this screaming and wailing coming from the living room.  Kris went in there and when the screaming didn't stop, I jumped up and ran in there.  Livvy was apparently sitting on top of laundry baskets full of clothes (a constant in my house-at least they were clean!) and fell, face first into a plastic table that was set up in there.  She pointed to her cheek and it looked a little red but she seemed OK.  I held her to me for a few minutes comforting her.  When I looked at her again, she had this bluish, purple blister on the corner of her mouth.  It looked awful.  Poor baby!  So she walked around icing her mouth while Kat is in my bed laying on a pack of frozen corn (we improvise around here!).

So...here's to hoping for a CALMER week!  And no ER visits...

2 comments:

  1. Boy what a week! Glad you made it through though.
    Hope Kat doesn't end up having back problems. That would suck, your back is so important. Hopefully cause she's young it won't do anything permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey your comment setting is on noreply so I couldn't respond to your comment in email.

    Thanks so much Jamie. How wonderful that you had those amazing experiences. :)

    I'm sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog. I guess I was dropped as following when you switched and I didn't even notice. Your button is only linked to your old one so I just thought you hadn't been posting for awhile. Oops!

    ReplyDelete