Saturday, August 14, 2010

I'm only 31!

I'm too young for all this pain.  Aren't I?  Shouldn't I be able to enjoy my kids and play with them?  Instead, I will be spending the weekend in bed, allowing my back time to heal, which is going to drive me crazy because I can't stand that my work is piling up and there are things to do to finish getting ready for school to start.  The good news is that the doctor does not believe I have any herniated discs in my back, which is great since I already have two in my neck.

I LOVED my experience at Missouri Baptist.  It was by far the best ER experience I have had.  If we ever have to take Livvy back to the ER for her allergies/asthma, I would take her there.  The staff was so friendly and did their best to update us regularly on when the doctor would be in.  Normally you just sit there for hours...waiting...so while we had to wait a long time, we were constantly informed and they didn't wait until the doctor saw me to give me pain medication either.

Shortly after we got there, they took me back for X-Rays.  A little while later, they took me to a different waiting room inside the ER, where they put an I.V. in and sat me down in a recliner.  Next they came in with FOUR needles.  I'm thinking "What are they going to do to me??"  They gave me Zofran (to prevent nausea), then Toradol (anti-inflammatory), Dilaudid (hands down my favorite pain medication), and a muscle relaxer all through the I.V.  Within minutes, I was able to move and sit up without searing pain in my back and legs.  It allowed me to get through the next 4 hours of waiting for the doctor without tears.  After seeing the doctor, they gave me another dose of Toradol and Dilaudid before they released me.  This was much different than my experience at Depaul where I had to wait in excruciating pain for 4 hours, then have the doctor come in and say "What do you want me to do?" and then only reluctantly give me a shot of Toradol.  He treated me as if I were a junkie just looking for a quick fix.

They took my pain seriously and gave me something to ease it as soon as possible at Missouri Baptist.  I was impressed and should the need arise, I will go back there.  It was the first time where I really felt like they cared about the people that came in there.  That's HUGE and something you just don't see very often.  Many times it seems like the ER staff are annoyed that you are there making them do their job and they are anything but helpful.  Not so at Missouri Baptist.

Well...the meds are kicking in so I will be back later when I can keep my eyes open to tell you all about our new van!  And at some point today, I'll have to get through my Google reader...it must be done....

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your pain, but glad the hospital treated you well. Will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete