Thursday, January 13, 2011

Writer's Workshop

Mama's Losin' It

#3. A moment you felt truly relieved.

In keeping with the serious theme from Tuesday about motherhood, I'm going to admit something; tell you something that I rarely talk about.

I've written a few posts about my son, and my struggles with him in the past. The quick version is that I was horribly depressed during my 2nd pregnancy, and for the first seven months of my son's life. Pre-partum, post-partum...I had it all!

 I was a mess. 

 You see, I got pregnant with my son Kaleb when Katherine was just six weeks old. 

Weeks? 

 Yes. 

 That's right. I said weeks. It's not a typo. It wasn't 6 months. It wasn't 6 years. It was SIX WEEKS. So, of course I was a mess.

When my son was just five months old, I found out I was pregnant with my third. So there I sat, with a 15 1/2 month girl AND a 5 month old boy...despondent and not sure what the future would hold. I was, at this point, un-medicated. My depression undiagnosed. My feelings buried. I had to hide a lot. I got so much criticism and so many of *those* looks...the looks that say "What were you thinking?" Or the comments:  "Are you crazy?" Or "You know how that happens right?" So my only reaction, my gut reaction, was to pretend like I was 100% thrilled with the reality that I would be 23 years old, still in college THUS barely hanging on financially, with three babies in diapers.

You know what? I wasn't happy. I wasn't holding it all together, on the inside. I was a mess and my marriage, to top it off, was not in a good place. I was depressed and neither Kris nor I knew it. Long story short (I'm not good at that am I?), when my son was 7 months old, God pulled me out of my dark pit and things turned around. I finally bonded with my son...better late than never right? A couple months later, it was time to find out if my current pregnancy would bring me another boy or another girl.

I told myself, convinced myself, that I would be happy either way. Boy or girl, I didn't care. So long as he/she is healthy. The usual, right? God had really helped me through a severely dark time in my life and I was at peace with my current babies, and the baby to come. I had a girl and a boy at this point, so I really didn't have a preference.

And yet, when the technician told us that we were indeed having another girl, I felt this huge weight lift from my shoulders.  I couldn't explain it.  I THOUGHT I would be happy, boy or girl.  But that sense of intense, tremendous relief I felt was undeniable.  I think that I was so traumatized by all of my experiences with my son's pregnancy and first few months of life that I thought I would go crazy if I had another boy.  And while it wasn't as extreme, I felt the same relief when I was told that my fourth child was also a girl. I think I was just not cut out to raise more than boy.  And don't get me wrong.  I don't HATE boys.  And I love my son fiercely!  In case you are now wondering and questioning if I like my girls better.

So there it is.  How's that for some honesty?

8 comments:

  1. I also was incredibly relieved when I found out I was having a girl. I had convinced myself that I wouldn't care either way but while we were at the ultrasound, every time I would see something resembling male anatomy, my heart would drop. By the time the tech said the baby was a girl, I was beside myself with relief! Although my husband needed a moment- he was hoping for a boy.

    3 kids in two years? Anbody would have had a tough time. It's extremely admirable that you came out the other side in a good place.

    Stopping by from MamaKat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Mama Kat's!
    Thanks so much for sharing that. I don't think it's discussed often enough. I also used the "relief" prompt.

    I also wrote about my depression a few days ago. It's not easy to talk about, but they are stories that must be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience so young. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Mama Kat's WW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I really appreciate that honesty about postpartum. I think its so hard to admit to that when you just want to be the strong-holding-it-together mama. And I agree with Mommy Shorts--that is a tough situation for anyone. It's cool that you look at that time as both darkness and light.

    Also stopping by from MamaKats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. It's no wonder you struggled - three kids under the age of 2 is a lot! Thank you for your honesty and bravery in sharing your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you made it through all that, how hard for a young mom!
    I wanted my boys that close in age, but I only wanted two!
    And when you say that you weren't cut out to be a mom to boys, I think I am exactly the same way with girls. I am so not cut to have a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haveing so many babies close together is tough. I know what you mena about pretending you are 100% thrilled when you really aren't. I've been there too.
    When I found out I was having twins I said to the ultrasound tech "But at least one is a girl, right? I need one girl!" and I got two girls! I'm not looking forward to having 2 girls in high school, but avoiding 2 toddler boys at the same time is pretty nice!
    You take what you get and make the most of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have babies that close together! Mine were 2 years and I about lost my mind!! :hug:

    ReplyDelete