Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cheesecake!

A few weeks ago Kris and I went to Target.  We were returning a Wii game I got him, because his mom bought it for him on the PS3.  We were walking around and Kris told me I could use the money to get something for me.  I thought about what I wanted and told Kris I wanted to look at the food processors.  He decided that it would be a great time to say the following to me:

"It will just be one more appliance you don't use."

I will spare you the very long, detailed "conversation" that ensued.  Suffice it to say I was a little upset.  OK...I was livid.  And defensive.  And I demanded that he tell me what appliance I had that I did not use.  He seemed to fumble with his words so I decided to help him.

Me:  What about the toaster oven?

Kris:  You use that.

Me:  What about my Kitchen Aid mixer?  I never use that, do I?

Kris:  You use that all the time.

Me:  The only reason I don't use my bread machine all the time is because I don't have room to keep it on the counter.  So, why do you think I wouldn't use a food processor?  Is it because of the Magic Bullet?

Kris:  I was kinda thinking about that.

Me:  I USED the Magic Bullet.  A lot when I first got it.  I TRIED using it for nuts and graham cracker crumbs and it just isn't good enough.  It's great for shakes and smoothies, but we can't just drink shakes and smoothies all the time.
--
I was a "little" defensive!  I mean...I DO use my appliances.  In an ideal world, I would have a huge kitchen and I would use ALL of my appliances.  On the other end of it, I think that Kris was a little offended too that I was wanting to replace his Christmas gift last year with a REAL food processor.

Let me defend myself here a little bit.  I LOVE the Magic Bullet.  It was a great gift from Kris, who got it because we couldn't afford a food processor at the time.  It was small and compact, perfect for my way-too-limited counter space.  And I used that great little gadget almost every day, for about 3 weeks.  UNTIL I WAS SMOOTHIED-OUT!!!

And I was still left longing for a food processor.  There were other things I wanted to do with it, that it just couldn't do.  Nuts for example.  This one was HUGE for me.  I wanted the ability to grind pecans or almonds very fine...and the Magic Bullet just fails here.  Additionally, I go through phases when I want to make cheesecakes.  All the time.  And not all cheesecake crusts are made from graham crackers.  And I don't know if you have ever tried to CHOP vanilla wafers or other items for crust with a knife or a food chopper. But it just doesn't work out the way you want it to.  I knew I needed a food processor to make my life easier.

So this brings us back to standing in Target, trying not to cry because I WANT a food processor, but am told that I will never use it.  Kris practically forced me to buy a food processor that day by the way (I think he felt guilty for insulting me).  We couldn't afford a 12 cup one, and I just really don't have room for it.  So I settled on a 3 cup Kitchen Aid food processor.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

And, just between you and me, I have used it several times already!!  In fact, I made a delicious turtle cheesecake last night that Kris seemed to enjoy quite a bit.  So now, tell me dear husband, do you regret the purchase of yet another appliance I will never use?  Think about that question as you feast on what you called "probably the best cheesecake I've ever had"!!


No comments:

Post a Comment