Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Must.Relax.

Today was a LOOONG day.  I hate the days where I am gone for over 12 hours during the day!  We had a paid for dinner at a very expensive restaurant tonight.  I was brave though and tried three things I've never had before:  frog legs, risotto, and some sort of chicken I can't remember the name of.  The frog legs were OK.  Not great, but not bad.  Yes, like everything else...it tastes like chicken!  Risotto was NOT impressive.  At least, not the one I had.  Some mushroom something or other.  It was just OK.  It definitely wasn't this awesome dish that I have to have all the time, which is kind of what I had expected since that seems to be all they really cook on Hell's Kitchen.  Well, that and scallops.  Which I could have had tonight but I figured 3 new tastes were enough for one night!  Maybe I'll be brave and try scallops next time.

We picked the kids up from Grandma's house and headed home, after searching high and low for a pair of cleats for Kaleb.  It was close to 9pm by the time we were close to home.  As we are driving along the outer road, suddenly from a distance I see this car veer into our lane.  And not just veer, realize he was in our lane and get back out.  The maniac kept driving towards, head on.  I'm yelling at Kris, who isn't really comprehending what is happening.  The kids are screaming, because they also have understood that if we don't get out of the way this idiot is going to plow into us.  At the last minute, with very little time to spare, Kris swerves to the shoulder and the idiot swerves back into his lane, seeming very in control of his vehicle.  I turn behind me to watch this other car and they just drove along down the road...as if nothing had happened.

My thinking is that they weren't paying attention and realized before it was too late, then got back in their lane.  Oh and I'm not talking about a car that is half in our lane and half in theirs.  I'm talking straight ahead, dead center in front of us.  Kris thinks that it was some young idiot, just acting stupid, trying to scare us.  IF that is the case, I'm pissed!  Who does that???  Of course, if that is what happened, the person can't know that we have four small children in the van with us.  They can't possibly be thinking about the possibilities, or consequences of waiting a second too long and actually coming into contact with us.  But to be so stupid and careless with no regard for anyone else is infuriating.  And as I reflect on it, given the amount of time they had to drive in our lane straight towards us, I think Kris is right.  Because it wasn't like they accidentally started veering into our lane, realized their mistake and corrected back into their lane.  They drove at us, almost as if we were playing chicken.

We make it through this little late night near-death experience and I ask the kids if they are all OK.  I hear Kaleb call from the back "Katherine's crying!"  He said it as if it was wrong for her to be crying, so I chastised him and told Kat that we were almost home and I would hold her when we got home.  True to my word, I called her up there and she just held onto me, crying.  I asked her if she was crying because she was scared.  She said yes but that she was also crying "because it made me think about the day Angi died."  This made me sad, hearing her tell me that.  She knew Angi and loved Angi but this was the first time I'd really seen her crying and upset, aside from the day Angi actually died.  I held her and within just a few minutes she was composed and ready for bed.  I am praying that none of the kids have nightmares tonight!  And I am very thankful that God protected my family tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment