Sunday, March 6, 2011

Enjoying the Quiet

It's just before 7:30am.  The house is still quiet.  Now.  I woke up to Livvy coughing non-stop.  I got up and went to her room water bottle and inhaler in hand.  She was, of course, wheezing, which did not surprise me.  Go asthma...

I put her back on the elevated side of her bed and she has gone back to sleep.  Kaleb was sleeping on the couch in the living room.  Ever since we had the squirrels in the attic, I keep finding him out here.  I sent him to my bed, rather than making him get back in his own.  I was feeling generous this morning.  He's very jumpy, like me.  So I think he is hearing the heat kick on, or other noises of the night, and getting scared.  His bed is very close to the ceiling, and some of the squirrels were actually accessing the basement around that area, so I can't be too upset with him.  Plus I understand his paranoia.  I hope that we can teach him and help him outgrow it, so he isn't a grown man still trying to work through some of his fears, like I was.  Except for the man part.  Because I am a woman.

All that being said, I think everyone has gone back to sleep and I am enjoying the quiet and finally sitting down to write.  It is rare that everyone in the house stays asleep this long.  But the last two nights we were out until 11pm, and so they all need it.  Truth be told, no matter when they get up, they will be cranky and fight with one another, which we mean an early bedtime.  Which I am OK with.  I think it will be necessary.  They could surprise me for once, but after 8-10 years of similar situations, I do not think this one time will be any different.

So here's an update on the Bishops.  SOME of the busy-ness is going to finally stop.  Basketball is now over for Katherine and Kaleb and while I really love watching the games, I am SO glad practice is over!  No more Mondays and Thursdays 5:30-7pm.  No more juggling Kaleb's 3:30-5:15pm practices, that conflict with getting Abbey to speech therapy by 5:30 on Wednesdays.  We'll JUST have speech therapy for Abbey on Mondays and Wednesdays.  And my mother-in-law has the younger two in something after school on Thursday, but it only lasts until 4:30pm.  So while we still have several activities outside of work and school, I am hoping we will all feel some relief.  And no more activities until next school year.  We ALL need a break!!!

My neck pain was better, for a while.  The last 4 (today will be 5) days in a row, the pain has gone from "noticeable" to "incredibly frustrating".  When it is ALL you can think about in the course of your day, that's a problem.  Granted, the weather may have been playing a part in that, between storms and temperature changes and more rain.  During the week, even the muscle relaxer I have been taking didn't seem to be doing its job and I was beginning to worry that it was going to quit working, as far as allowing me to actually sleep at night.  But the last 2 nights have been better.  My body seems to respond well to it, if I take it after 10:30/11pm.  The problem is that I can't get up early when I take it that late.  7:30 is still early, yes...but I'd really like to be getting in to work by 7am during the week, so taking it that late isn't an option unless I can sleep in.

Beyond that...we're all fairly healthy for the time being.  We will see how Livvy does with her asthma over the next few days.  I am calling an allergist on Monday to try to get her in for the actual skin test.  I am starting to think she is allergic to more than just soy bean oil.  She has been complaining at home and at school (to the point of crying) that her belly hurts for over a week now.  The school nurse said it is one of the first signs with asthma (though it has never been with her before), and given that she woke up wheezing this morning, it may be as simple as that.  But she threw up mangoes a couple of weeks ago and she's been eating these almond bars with no soy bean oil almost every day...and I am wondering if there is more that she is allergic to.  So I am finally going to find out what all this little girl is allergic to.

No comments:

Post a Comment