Sunday, March 20, 2011

Derma-completely-inappropriate-tologist

I went to see the dermatologist on Wednesday to have suspicious looking spot checked out.  It was on my back, and I had no clue it was even there until the rheumatolgist pointed it out.  I'll start out by telling you the biopsy came back clean...so I'm good there.

Now that that is out of the way...let me tell you a little story.

The appointment started out like any other.  You know...get there 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork that only takes 2 minutes.  Seriously...there was only ONE form.  I felt a little cheated.  I mean, I'm so used to 15 pages of paperwork, where you essentially write down the same address and insurance info on each individual page.  I guess the one page only should have been the first sign that this doctor appointment wouldn't be just any ordinary appointment.

After keeping me waiting for what only doctors would consider an appropriate amount of time, I was finally called back.  Where as you all can guess, I waited some more.  After another "appropriate" amount of time, the dermatologist finally came in.  She briefly introduced herself and then proceeded to violate me.  Or at least, that is how I felt.  People, I am not a stripper and I do NOT take kindly to people asking me to take my shirt off for them.

I am not even exaggerating the fact that she told me to take my shirt off.  But first, let me back up a little.  Let me show you the view from the little room I was in. 



This is ALMOST at ground level!  I could see people walking back and forth.  CLEARLY.  So that in and of itself was a little disturbing.  And the blinds were up.  And the doctor came in.  And told me to take my shirt off.  She didn't close the blinds. She didn't give me a gown to put on or politely excuse herself while I undressed.  She just stood there while I took my shirt off...and didn't pay me for it!  In fact, I had to pay her!!!  What kind of craziness is that?

So she has me lay down on the table, spends 5 seconds removing the spot, then tells me how to care for my "open wound".  And as I am picking my shirt up, with her still standing there, she opens the door.  I'm left standing there, holding my shirt, half naked and she walks out of the room!!!  I could see the receptionist!

OK...I shouldn't feel as violated as I did...when you look at the building from the outside, the windows are so dark that you can't see anything.  But I wasn't thinking of any of that.  All I could think about was the fact that I could see the people walking back and forth and I was half naked.  It was horrifying and humiliating! And the fact that the receptionist was there in plain view while I held my shirt in my hand just made it that much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment