Monday, March 21, 2011

Speaking of feeling violated...**updated**

Remember my dermatologist appointment post from yesterday?  Let me follow that up with my creepy massage experience from Saturday.

I got two more cortisone shots, this time in my left shoulder.  The following night (Thursday) I think I slept on my shoulder funny.  I woke up Friday morning with awful pain in my left shoulder-I could feel a huge knot and the pain was stretching up into my neck/head on the left side.  I finally located my BioFreeze that had misplaced itself and began massaging that into my shoulder and neck.  It provided *some* relief...but the knot was still there.  I had scheduled a last minute massage for Saturday night, hoping that between that and the cortisone shots, I would finally experience some relief from the neck pain that has been plaguing me for over two years.

I am pretty sure I got the only massage therapist available, and I hesitate to even call her a massage therapist.  She was creepy, to say the least!  Not at first.  At first she seemed nice enough.  A little...weird...and way too chatty...but OK.  I was still hopeful.  I had a 90 minute massage scheduled.  At 6pm, my appointment time, the therapist came and introduced herself, and then asked me if it was OK if I waited a few minutes because she had some "cleansing" she needed to do.  I wasn't sure if she meant cleaning, like the room, or cleansing...like her mind?  But I was fine with waiting.  I wanted to get my eyebrows waxed anyway and they just did that first, instead of after the massage as I had originally planned.  So I got back into the room around 6:15pm.  I got myself situated, without the presence of anyone else (dermatologist, take note!) and so the massage started around 6:20pm.  Which means it should have ended at 7:40, because a 90 minute massage is really only 80 minutes of actual massage time.

I had explained to the therapist that I had a knot in my shoulder and pain in my neck.  She said she'd try this "rolling" technique that I was really going to like.  First things first, she wasn't very good.  At the whole massaging thing.  Which is really unfortuante because that's kind of her job!  It didn't feel great, but not much time had passed, so I was thinking "she'll eventually really get into actually massaging my sore muscles..."

After a while of sub-par massage, she asks "Can I put my fingers in your hair?"  Now, I'm all about having my scalp massaged.  I think it feels great...although now I may be a little hesitant to let anyone touch my scalp again!  So I tell her to feel free.  So she begins and I should have been freaked out the first time she kind of "sighed".  And for the next 10 minutes at least she proceeds to "play" in my hair, massaging my scalp and kind of MOANING from time to time!!!  WHAT??  I am not joking!  This really did happen to me Saturday night.  At the end of the massage, she sighed heavily and said something about that being great...and I'm like...wait...shouldn't I be the one saying that?  She was acting as if she had enjoyed it more than I did...which in reality is likely true, since I didn't enjoy it at all!!

As if that wasn't bad enough...she didn't even flip me over.  If you've never had a massage, usually you start on your stomach and then they flip you over and massage the other side (minds out of the gutter people...they do avoid the areas you don't want them touching).  But she didn't flip me over, which also meant that the area where the knot was in my shoulder didn't get the same attention it would ahve with pretty much any other massage therapist-because they actually know what they are doing. 

So she tells me we're done and leaves the room.  I look at the clock.  It's 7:20!!!  Remember, the 90 minute massage started at 6:20pm.  I was NOT happy.  Not only did I feel completely the same as before the massage (which was a little bit better than awful and I got to add creeped out to that), I got robbed of 20 minutes!  Really, I got robbed of the entire massage if we're being honest.  Since the therapist was horrible.

And because I'm not a confrontational person (except when writing), I didn't say anything.  I keep thinking about emailing them.  When I went out there to "tip" (which was less than 15% percent...I shouldn't have given her ANYTHING!), she just hovered for a while, so I would have felt weird saying anything at that point.  And when I looked at my receipt, they charged me for 3 half hour increments.  For my 60 minute massage, if you can even call it that.

What would you have done?  I will confront it...if I can find an email address, or work up the courage sometime this week to call or go over there.

**UPDATE** - I worked up the courage and called this morning.  They were very sorry and very good about it and credited my 90 minutes back to my account!!  So I still love the company and they assured me they would NOT put me with that therapist again and that they would talk to her.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm glad you phoned....I don't know if I'd have the courage. But who wants to waste a 90 min. massage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, read this post, and was also creeped out by your therapist!! Happy you got your minutes back!

    ReplyDelete