Friday, June 22, 2012

¡Español!

Most of you know that I had the wonderful opportunity of teaching Spanish to the middle school kids at Grace Christian Academy this past semester.

While I loved all of my students (yes, even the more...active...ones!) and learned so much while teaching them, my heart connected with the only 8th grader I had in my class.  I'm kind of glad there were no other 8th graders.  Since as a teacher you aren't supposed to play favorites, I can honestly say she was the best 8th grade student I had!!  There was so much more to it than that though.  This girl exudes warmth and joy and love for others.

From the start, I was impressed by her maturity and spirit.  She made me laugh.  And once, when I was substitute teaching, she saved my life.  Almost literally!  I kept asking her what to do next, since I had no idea what I was doing.  And she was so kind and gracious.  She helped me out a LOT that day.  Each day in class, it was a joy to see her and interact with her.  Her laugh and smile was infectious.

I suppose this is what happens when you teach.  You grow attached to these kids.  And they carve out this special place in your heart, like your own children do.  And when you are no longer teaching them, there is a sort of void.  I'm really going to miss this girl.  Outside of Spanish class, I really didn't get a chance to know her well.  I wish that I had more time to get to know her.  I told her that once she becomes a neurosurgeon, I'd have her do all my surgeries!


I had the pleasure of watching her graduate and even managed to get a picture with her.  It is the only reminder I have of my time teaching Spanish.  I am grateful I had the opportunity to find out that #1. Yes I could teach and #2.  I wasn't too bad at it either!

Thanks Joi for sticking with me and giving me something to look forward to on Thursdays!  You're beautiful inside and out!  May God bless you in your new school.  I'll be watching the newspapers-you and I both know why! ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Sweet. I taught for 12 years, and I know the feeling of connecting w/ a particular student. You are so proud, and long for the success. You look like a great teacher. :-)

    ReplyDelete