Thursday, June 28, 2012

Gardening for Idiots

Pets and plants are not my forte.

Babies, yes.

Non-living designs/creations, yes.  (Little Bishop Creations)

Other living creations, no.

I knew that I couldn't take care of aforementioned (great word!) living things, based on the fact that I am not disciplined.  Thus, they would not get the water and nourishment that they needed.  So, I chose not to have any.  Fearful that they would just die and prove that I was a failure at keeping anything besides my children alive!

No plants or pets.

Until May.

In May, I went to a ladies Bible study with my church family.  We talked about gardening and weeds and what we can learn from the weeds in our lives.  Before we left, we were each given 3 seeds from a 4 O'Clock plant.  I had also been talking to my friend Tara about her raised beds and her garden.  It really made me want to grow SOMETHING!  If for nothing else than to have the weeds, to see them and be reminded of the power they can have in our lives if left untended.  Beyond that, there is Biblical representation of seeds being planted and growing.  Luke 8:12-15 says this:

"The seeds that fell on the footpath represent those who hear the message, only to have the devil come and take it away from their hearts and prevent them from believing and being saved.  The seeds on the rocky soil represent those who hear the message and receive it with joy.  But since they don't have deep roots, they believe for a while, then they fall away when they face temptation.  The seeds that fell among the thorns represent those who hear the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life.  And so they never grow into maturity.  And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God's word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest."

I've found myself in each of these scenarios at some point in my life.  I spent the last 7 years letting Satan take away the message and prevent me from believing; as well as not being soundly rooted, thus swayed and lured away by temptation.  And now, I have been liberated.  I want to be the seed that falls on the good soil.  I want to be honest and good-hearted and share my story of what God has done in my life in these past four months.

So all of that to say, I started a garden!  At first, I just planned to plant the three 4 O'Clock seeds and see what happened.  Doubting that I could actually make them grow.  But later that week, I went to the local Farmer's Market.  I saw tomato plants, and jalapenos, and cilantro.  I thought "salsa".  So I bought some, thinking "I'm going to grow flowers, so why not try food!"  So I bought those, as well as oregano, and another flower that was already blooming.  And I set to work.  I decided to use this small strip I have next to my carport, that had constantly been overcome by weeds.  Kind of like my life for so many years!


My friend Tara and her husband came over and tilled the ground for me, and put some of their compost down.



Then I set to work planting.  I put one tomato plant, one jalapeno plant (which keeps getting picked at by birds :-/), oregano (which is doing quite well I might add-though I haven't used any of it yet), and cilantro here.  And then next to that, I planted the three 4 O'Clock seeds I was given.  I was worried about these, because I didn't know if I would be able to tell the difference between the plant (should it grow) and weeds.  Tara told me to put a Popsicle stick in the ground where I planted it, so I would know where it was.  That was a great idea!  And to my surprise, ONE of the three seeds started growing.


I'm told that this plant will grow pink flowers and then in the fall, it will produce a ton of seeds that I can then replant next year.  When I first saw it peeking out of the soil, my heart was filled with joy.  It's one thing to take a plant that is already growing.  It's another to start from just a seed and see it come up through the ground!  Hopefully mine will look like this soon:


Now, this next picture I need to add a disclaimer to.  It is currently 137 degrees outside, and this flower that was blooming well two days ago is currently struggling.  I've been diligent in watering, especially with this crazy stupid heat, because I want to prove to myself that I can grow things besides children.  So, while it doesn't look as pretty as it did 2 days ago, it is still thriving and healthy.  Once it cools off a little and my plant is allowed the nourishment it needs, I'll take another picture of it at its best.  The only good thing about my gumball tree is that it provides the shade that this plant needs to grow. I still hate that tree though!





Next up is my favorite.  The one that makes me the happiest.  The one that proves to me that I can do this!!    Check it out.  These are my Roma Tomatoes, actually growing!  You can see them!  I am so excited to learn that I could grow something.  Here's to hoping the heat that is supposed to continue to rise to 159 degrees won't kill the plants I have so lovingly tried to grow.

Next year, I am hoping to have some raised beds of my own!

What about you?  What do you grow?




Mama’s Losin’ It

2 comments:

  1. My veggie garden is struggling. It's been in for a month at least and nothing is growing. It's all stagnant. I've heard that from other gardeners, too. Love that you're really going to town on this! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gardening! It's a joint effort with hubs... of course, now as I write that I realize it's really just him. I plant stuff, he does everything else. Any rate... we have raised beds in which we have planted: zucchini, butternut squash, chives, arugula, radishes, beets, pole beans, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, lettuces, a few herbs & swiss chard. We also have 4 tomato plants growing in 5 gallon buckets outside of the yard.

    Everything is really starting to grow now, but most of May and early June were pretty boring! And it's nearly impossible to kill peas, so you should try those!

    ReplyDelete