Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pill Box



I need one of these.  On a night like tonight--what I would consider a "good" night--I take 8-9 pills in order to go to sleep/make it through the night.  Let me think...I take at least 4 pills in the morning.  So the days/nights when I am in pain...I won't even give you the # on that!

Anyway...

So, apparently I've been causing quite a stir.  It was not intentional.  I do not intend to continue blogging about controversial issues.  In fact, I actually try to AVOID them, because I do not like to debate things.  You want to debate something?  Talk to my husband.  He'll debate for fun.  He'll even play devil's advocate, just for the sake of arguing.  Not me.  I don't like confrontation.  I know that I opened myself up to it by daring to have an opinion on a book series that I do not think is wholesome for me (or my young Christian friends) to read.

The cool thing is that I have some really great friends.  Instead of me having to jump in and defend my position, I have friends that do it for me.  Friends that actually enjoy debating or the controversy.  I just sit back and click "publish" as the comments come in and let my friends go at it.

I've got some really great friends.  A friend and I were talking today about my whole home school "drama" from a year ago, and how someone decided that they knew God's will for my family better than Kris and I did and they should let me know.  That person said ONE thing to me in response to a Facebook status and about 15 people jumped in, defending me within minutes.

It's good to know who your friends are.

When you know that, the other stuff doesn't matter much.

It is a billion 85 really degrees in my house.  I don't know if it is just the record 105 degree weather we've been having (across the country, I know!), or the fact that my A/C doesn't work well in general, or the A/C fairies aren't doing their job to clean and lovingly care for the unit, or the fact that Kris turned the oven on to cook the chicken legs I couldn't seem to cook fully on the grill (though I told him to use the microwave and then he accidentally left it on for an hour!) or the fact that we don't have working A/C in our bedroom (an addition to the house)...but it is HOT.  Kris and I have spent the last 2 nights sleeping in the living room on couches because we just cannot survive in our room-it's at least 95 degrees back in there.  What I wouldn't give to have a window unit in there that worked!  We have all four kids sleeping downstairs because it's too hot   We've got the door shut to try to help keep the heat out but ultimately I am not sure it is helping.

But then, whenever I think about that, I think about the homeless on the streets, or the elderly, or the soldiers fighting so I have the freedom to write whatever I want and have people disagree with and yell at me without being put in prison.

And then it doesn't feel so hot.

But honestly, I'm a pretty selfish person, so the focus tends to quickly shift back to me.  I'm pathetic.  And impatient.  And I'm hot.

Oh, and I almost hit two women with my van tonight.  That was exciting...

I immediately blamed them, calling them idiots (in my head).  They were wearing dark clothing, at 10pm.  They decided to cross the road last minute AS I WAS TURNING.  And they just looked at me. I seriously almost hit them.  I had to swerve and slam on my brakes.  Only then did they decide to notice my big van with headlights beaming at them.  Scared me to death.  And made me mad.  I know that if I had hit them, #1.  It would have been horrific and #2.  It would have been my fault.  Even though it was THEIR fault.  I swear to you...people in my neighborhood and the surrounding ones just walk as slowly as possible...STARING at you while you wait for them to move.  They taunt you with their eyes and smirks and you just think "Maybe I can hit them...just a little..."  Because you know they are saying back "I dare you..."

It's the heat. It's making me crazy.

Funny story...

We had some friends over tonight.  And Abbey was playing with my friend's daughters.  I saw Abbey run through the room and go downstairs.  Within moments, the older daughter came into the dining room and said "Abbey put a curse on me and told me that the only way to break the curse was to watch the baby for an hour.  Then she just left!"  Yup.  That's my Abbey...

Speaking of being proud...

Katherine was given a scholarship at Christmas to attend bridge camp this summer.  I JUST picked her up this morning.  She spent a week out at Lake Williamson Christian Center in Carlinville, IL-she really enjoyed it, which came as no surprise to me.  She already had a very basic concept of the game, but I wasn't even prepared to hear how well she did.

Don't misconstrue that.  I KNEW that she would excel.  She excels at anything she does, specifically academics.  However, I was not prepared to hear that she has earned possibly almost FOUR silver Master Points in the American Contract Bridge League.  I know that doesn't mean much to most of you, but it's a really big deal, especially with as young as she is..  They had tournaments 3 of the 5 nights.  In one tournament, she was paired with a guy who won Nationals (a BIG bridge tourney) and they got first place!  In another yesterday, they played what was called Swiss Teams and she and  her team came in 2nd!  And she earned REAL Master Points.  Not just "I-went-to-camp-these-are-pretend-points".  So so proud!

Additionally, her cabin counselor (also the beginner's teacher) told me that when she gets back to St. Louis in August that she really wants to play with Katherine at the local club.  She said that Katherine could play for free whenever she or this other guy are there.  She told me about this Wednesday afternoon game that she actually runs and she would love to play as Katherine's partner for this weekly game.

Yes, I know I'm geeking out a bit.  But I'm a very proud mother.  She was given high praise and she deserved it.  We played bridge with her and my friend tonight and it was so fun to watch her face as she played.  You could see her thinking and making decisions, putting into practice things she has learned.  Before she left, she was a tentative player with a lot of questions.  One week away with real teachers and she is a polished, 11 year old bridge player, with almost as many Master Points as her parents (we have just over 5, in over 8 years of playing!)

OK...enough of that.  I just had to share it.  If for nothing else than to hear my friends make fun of the fact that we play a "dying game" that only old people play.  I always tell them that I have the spine of a 75 year old, so I may as well play the game of a 75 year old.  Jennifer told me that people who play bridge have sharper minds as they age, so I don't care what Shane anyone says.  You'll be drooling on yourself and I'll still be playing bridge.  I'm not sure I want to let Kat go back to camp next year - she'll wind up having more points than us (at 12 years old!), and you know I may not be able to handle that.

And now that I've bored you and myself to sleep, I'll sign off now.

No comments:

Post a Comment