Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I couldn't have said it better...

You know, sometimes marriage is hard.  Like...most of the time.  It seems like the things our spouses need the most are the things that are the hardest for us to give them.  We all express love differently, and usually the way that we express love is not the way that our spouse NEEDS us to express love.  For instance, Kris expresses love through touch.  Get your minds out of the gutter.  He likes to hug me, or hold my hand, or put his arm around me.  Physical touch.  It comes naturally to him and it is how he shows love.

But, seeing as how I don't like to be touched, especially hugged, this is not an effective way for him to show me that he loves me.  And it is very difficult for me to just hug him or show him that I love him in the way that he will really see and know it.

For me, it's words.  Mostly.  I like presents too, but that's secondary!  ;-)  I want and need to be TOLD.  Not just that he loves me.  But WHY.  What is it about me that he finds appealing?  Why does he stick around with all my crazy?  I need to hear these things ON A REGULAR BASIS.  Every day.  Or to know that he is thinking about me throughout the day.  And yet, this is the most difficult thing for him to do.

Does anyone else experience this kind of conflict?

I keep hearing a song lately...I can't help but love the lyrics.  It's called "All We'd Ever Need" by Lady Antebellum.  Here's the link to the song if you want to listen while you read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFWUKIi85Jk

Boy it's been all this time,
and I can't get you off my mind,
and nobody knows it but me.
I stare at your photograph,
still sleep in the shirt you left,
and nobody knows it but me.
Everyday I wipe my tears away,
so many nights I've prayed for you to say.

(Chorus)
I should have been chasing you,
I should have been trying to prove,
that you were all that mattered to me,
I should have said all the things,
that I kept inside of me and maybe,
I could have made you believe,
that what we had was all we'd ever need.

My friends think I'm moving on,
but the truth is I'm not that strong and nobody knows it but me.
I've kept all the words you said,
in a box underneath my bed,
and nobody knows it but me.

But if you're happy I'll get through somehow,
Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com 
but the truth is that I've been screaming out.

(Repeat Chorus)

It was all we'd ever need.

Oh, I thought it was all we'd ever need.

I should have been chasing you,
You should have been trying to prove,
that you were all that mattered to me,
Oh, you should have said all the things,
that I kept inside of me and maybe,
You could have made me believe,
that what we had girl,
Oh, that what we had
What we had

It was all we'd ever need

2 comments:

  1. Yep. I can relate! And I try and explain it to my husband...he can't seem to grasp it. FRUSTRATING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies, there's a book called "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman that explains how we each feel and experience love. It's must reading for any relationship. If we'd just try a little harder to give others what they need, we'd be happier ourselves because they would be happy too. I don't like to be touched very much either, but I sure do like getting presents.

    ReplyDelete