Wednesday, July 6, 2011

leave it to me

Leave it to me to start off my trip to Chicago with a blog worthy post! Which I am doing via my phone, since I managed to ruin my laptop right after we left St. Louis! Seriously...like less than 5 minutes in.

There is a great debate among scholars me and Shane about which is better: Styrofoam cups or plastic?

While I love that Styrofoam keeps my drink colder longer, they do not yet have a 52oz Styrofoam cup at QT. So, the majority of the time I get plastic. This morning, though, in preparation for my 5.5 hour bus ride, I chose Styrofoam. This would later come back to haunt me.




I should have known how the trip would go, before I even got on the bus. Besides the fact that Jennifer was insistent that they transport prisoners to and from Vandalia on the Megabus, I had what I thought was a tightly closed liter of water in my laptop case. When I bent down to hug the kids goodbye, someone pointed out that I was spilling water, everywhere, which I quickly felt all over my foot. I looked down to see the lid to my water bottle on the ground and my water bottle half empty. So I had that going against me.

As recommended by a friend who had taken the Megabus before, I got one of the only seats that had a table. I thought, "This will be perfect. I can blog or "Facebook" because that is a verb now, or whatever because they have free WiFi." So, I get all set up and situated. My Styrofoam cup filled with tea was in a very convenient cup holder, with my laptop next to it. Everything was perfect. Just the way I wanted it. There was even an outlet to plug my laptop in so that my 5 minute battery wouldn't render me without anything to do the whole time.

But then I couldn't connect to their free WiFi. Well, the computer SAID I was connected but was giving some stupid DNS something or other computer geek related term. One that I did NOT know how to fix! So I was a little upset, but thought "Well, at least I can tether through my phone!" Which I proceed to do. At first, I started to get irritated because I couldn't make IT work either! Until I realized that I was just an idiot and forgot to turn Easy Tether on, on my phone. So I remedied that quickly, only to find that my computer wouldn't recognize my USB cable. Rather...it recognized the cable, because it was charging my phone, but my phone was not recognized. So I'm getting very frustrated at this point. And I'm trying every single USB port just to make sure.

Here is where I made my mistake. Here is where I began to loathe Styrofoam and all of it's evil ways. As I plugged my USB cable into the port on the left side of the computer, part of the cable PUNCTURED my cup of tea. And at first I just sat there, unsure what was happening, as my beloved tea kept pouring out all over my laptop, USB cable, phone, the people across from me, the person beside me, and my own feet.

I'd say about 25 of the 32 ounces wound up on my computer or somewhere in the vicinity. The lady across from me was very helpful, while the lady that sat too close to begin with promptly moved to the seat behind me. Fine by me. She was annoying me wish her brushing up against my arm anyway. A kind man got toilet paper from the bathroom and we got it all cleaned up. Except that now my laptop doesn't work. Well...no. It works. Sort of. It turns on. But the letters are all stuck together or something and so without even putting my hands on the keyboard, ghost letters begin appearing and don't stop.  I took it apart and I am hoping to test it soon to see if it will work, but I am doubtful. Which I find really frustrating because I wanted to upload pictures while I was in Chicago, as I went, not wait until I got home and try to sort through them all.

Oh and to add a little icing to the cake, when I was exiting the Megabus, I bumped into a bag of trash.  Someone had put a half full cup of soda in said bag of trash, which of course, spilled all over my foot.


This is the current state of my laptop

Fortunately, one of my roommates is letting me use her computer, and it has a webcam in it, so I can video chat with the kids! After I went through all the trouble to borrow one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment