Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why Glee? WHY?

I never thought I would say this, though I feared I would say it someday.  That someday my love for Glee would change.  I just didn't think it would be four episodes into the second season.  But I am seriously disappointed.  The music this week in The Duets episode was great.  It redeemed itself for me musically.  But the story?  I'm not buying it.  People will hate me for saying this.  I know I will ruffle feathers.  But I do not think that homosexuality is right.  People are going to live their lives and what I think about it is my business.  I don't shout to the world that I think it is wrong.  I don't condemn or judge people who are gay.  I have someone in my life that I love dearly and have for years that is gay.  I will always love this person and anyone else that comes into my life that is gay.  I don't avoid people...I just haven't come into contact with very many people that are, you know?  I learned a long time ago that loving someone unconditionally goes a lot farther than preaching my opinion at them.  But where my family is concerned, I will teach my children what the Bible (that I believe is 100% true and from God) teaches.

But I am not going to be vocal about my views because too many times people get too upset.  I am allowed to have an opinion and I hope that I do not offend anyone here because of what I am writing.  I purposely avoid these "hot topics" because I do not like confrontation.  I have tolerated the blatant approval and encouragement that Glee gives to homosexuality because there are so many other elements of the show that I love.  But I just feel like they are really pushing the topic and trying too hard to make it OK.  And for the rest of the world, and maybe you reading this, it is OK.  It's just not what I believe.  It frustrates me that homosexuality has been the primary focus of season 2 thus far.  I know I am taking a risk and maybe losing readers or making enemies by writing this.  But it's just so "in your face" that I can't just keep ignoring it and tolerating it.  I really, REALLY hope that the rest of the season is not so intentional in promoting Kurt's sexual orientation.

And while I'm talking about things that have me annoyed...why do they have to make it seem like teenagers having sex is normal and perfectly fine?  Parents...do you honestly WANT your kids having sex in high school?  Am I way out of line for thinking that this is NOT OK?  I understand that teenagers are faced with temptation and pressure and that teenagers really do have sex.  HOWEVER...it's just so irritating that in almost every episode some teenage couple is having sex.  I loved that they did not promote abortion when Quinn was pregnant.  They took an issue that teens are faced with and gave them a POSITIVE outcome.  So I applaud that-though I worry that this season someone WILL get pregnant and they will explore the other alternatives.  Hopefully not-I think that abortion is so heart-breaking for the women who endure it so hopefully they will leave it alone-because I don't believe they could ever accurately depict what it must be like emotionally to go through something like that.  Anyway...sorry I got sidetracked...why does sex have to dominate a show that is geared towards teens (and yes I do know this is pretty typical)???  What's next?  This season seems to be about taking those controversial topics and just exposing them.  I am not even going to go into the Grilled Cheesus episode and my views on that with regards to religion and faith and spirituality.

I'm just sad about it because I love Glee and I feel like they are trying too hard to push those issues, when the show was just fine, actually outstanding, the way it was!  Please don't hate me for having an opinion.  If you disagree with my views, that's fine.  I believe that we can still be friends...but I understand if this is a deal breaker for you.  I just hope it isn't.  I don't like to make enemies or confront anything...that's why I hardly ever write about this kind of thing.  I don't have the strength emotionally to bear the mean, hateful comments people say when someone speaks out on a controversial issue.  So please go easy on me.

3 comments:

  1. While I don't agree with you that homosexuality is wrong, I also think Glee is WAY overboard this season. I liked seeing Kurt struggle with his identity last year - and it was so amazing this his dad could support him and love him even though he didn't get it. But this year it's just like... cmon! The part with the two cheerleaders was WAAAAYYY too much. I had to clean out my ears when they said something about "all that scissoring!" OMG! I am no prude and I'm not that religious, but I'm really disappointed in this season. I actually stopped recording it altogether.

    I also hate how they lip synch. HATE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this myself, Jamie. I feel the same way and wish they wouldn't focus on it so much. Also, it seems that in effort to give fairness to everyone, EVERY show now has to had a gay/lesbian character and subplot. WHY???

    I don't let my kids watch the show too often (mostly because I DVR it and son't have time to watch it until after they are in bed), but last season when Quinn was pregnant, my daughter (9 1/2) started asking questions. She said, "Is she pregnant?" Me: yes. "Is she married?" Me: no. "Is that possible?" Me: grin

    In her mind, married people have babies. I want it to stay that way and I want her to know that's they way God intended it, and too much of the world speaks against those views these days.

    OK...climbing off the soapbox now. Good blog Jamie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with everything you've said with the exception of the parts about Glee... but that's only because I've never seen the show and despite having heard that it's good, I have no idea what it's about or who is in it haha. (Therefore I also don't disagree :p)

    ReplyDelete