Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Really?

Sometimes people are idiots.  Sounds harsh, I know.  But it's a fact.  I'm a fairly cynical person, to the dismay of my husband, who is annoyingly optimistic at times.  That being said, idiots can be found on a daily basis in my world.  I'm constantly thinking, if not saying aloud, the word idiot, for any number of reasons throughout any given day.  People who acts as if they have no common sense make the top of my idiot list.  As do people who insist on being mean and snotty for no apparent reason.

Today, I have a little story about the first group of idiots...the ones who seem to have no common sense.  At.  All.  Every year at work we get gifts.  A guy in the office coined it as "Christmas Swag".  We LOVE Christmas swag.  Sometimes it's fruit, which is appreciated when I'm in the mood to stick to Weight Watchers.  But the vendors I love the most are the ones who send us cookies, candy, cupcakes and the like.  Harry & David truffles?  Don't mind if I do!  Every day when we see the mail man/UPS/Fed Ex guy coming down the hall with a box we hope against all hopes that it is indeed for our office and that it contains goodies other than fruit.

This year, we have not been disappointed.  Well, until this week, that is...

I wasn't here when it happened.  But as soon as I saw it, I was at once disappointed and frustrated.  You see, a vendor send us three boxes from a bakery.  Cookies, brownies, and CUPCAKES!  YUM!

Right?

Wrong.

You see...when the cupcake box was opened, this is what we found:


What happened to this box???

Now I want you to notice a couple of things here.  First, there is NOTHING covering these.  No Press 'n Seal, foil or other covering.  The goodies are just exposed in this large box.  Second, there is NOTHING in this box to keep it from moving around.  And we all know that anything that goes through the mail is bound to get turned over several times.

So I immediately take this picture and proceed to look up the bakery's website and email them, to figure out why on earth they would package this like that.  It didn't make sense to me that any professional bakery would send something like this.  Being a GREAT bakery with excellent customer service, they emailed me right back, asking that I send them the picture so they could see what happened.  I obliged and after I had done this, I started thinking through it all.  The man that emailed me told me that he was so surprised that this had happened because they frequently deliver cupcakes throughout Michigan and Indiana for weddings and have never had this kind of complaint.  This got me thinking.  If they DELIVER things, perhaps THEY aren't the ones that shipped this.  Perhaps the vendor purchased these lovely and probably pricey delicacies, and then decided to just stick them in a box with packing peanuts and hope for the best.  Who treats cupcakes this way?!?

You know what?  I think that is EXACTLY what happened!!  The owner of this bakery called me a little later and told me that they haven't shipped anything, and do not recommend shipping their cupcakes.  All of their orders were PICKED UP.  So that means that our vendor bought these (WHO KNOWS HOW LONG AGO!), stuck them in a box and mailed them.  Without even thinking about how it would look when it arrived at its destination.  And you know what else?  My company isn't the only one to get cupcakes like this either.  This same vendor sent the SAME thing to another company we work with!!  I wonder how many other people they tried to MAIL cupcakes to.  I'm sorry (I'm not really)...but let's use a little common sense here.  I wouldn't buy a cupcake and then try to put it in an envelope and mail it, expecting it to arrive in tact.  So why would someone think they could stick SEVERAL in a box and have it arrive in perfect condition?  C'mon!  Idiots...

I truly appreciate the thought...but I really wanted to try one of those cupcakes!!!  They look like they have bits of peppermint or candy canes in them!  I do have it on good authority that the brownies and cookies were delicious, though I have yet to try them for myself.  Oh and just because I was so impressed by the quick reply of the bakery and the assurance that they have a lot more common sense than this vendor, if you are in the Valparaiso, IN area, I am going to direct you to them!  Because I'm nice like that.  And because I really appreciated the personal time they took to ensure that my experience was a pleasant one, even though I still haven't tasted the cupcakes.  Why can't I live near Valparaiso??

So, if you are in the area, try to stop by here and eat a cupcake or two for me!


56 W. Lincolnway
Valparaiso, IN 46383

1 comment: