Thursday, September 20, 2012

3 minutes

Sometimes all you need is 3 minutes.

3 minutes to breathe.

3 minutes to use the bathroom.

3 minutes to pray for patience.

Today,  I just needed 3 minutes to shave my legs.

Kids have this horrible habit of not allowing us any minutes at all.  There are constant interruptions.  Nonstop distractions.  It is just part of the parenting process.

Today, my 3 minutes did not come in the form I expected.

My 3 minutes were just that...

3 minutes.

They came at me in a rush.   They were sudden and unexpected.  They took me by surprise.

As soon as my 3 minutes were over, the distractions began.  The interruptions returned.  And they didn't stop.  For ten minutes, while I was simply trying to do something productive, like take a shower, I had a barrage of important problems that had to be dealt with RIGHT THEN.

Livvy wanted Doritos.

Kaleb came to tattle because Livvy was whining, because Abbey had two platefuls of Doritos (I did not know this) and I only let Livvy have one handful!

Katherine came in to tell me that Abbey fell.  Of course she had to fall during the short time I tried to shower.

Next it was Abbey.  Kaleb and Livvy both made second appearances in between all the others.

And all I could do was think, "Thank you God for giving me those 3 minutes at the beginning of my shower."

This is indeed proof that I am being remade.  Because the old me would have been throwing a fit at the very first distraction, yelling at the kids to give me just 3 minutes.

You know I love music.  It is a part of me.  It speaks deeply into my heart and comforts me.  So it shouldn't surprise you to read that I had music playing while I was in the shower.

I chose a Matthew West song somewhat at random.  I knew I liked the song but I wasn't thinking about the lyrics. So the song came on as I started the water and began the ritual. I washed my face them began with the shampoo.

And then it happened.  My 3 minutes began.

God did what He has been doing occasionally since Good Friday.  He took my heart in his hands and gently squeezed.  He captured my mind, blocking out all the stress and noise of the day, of the week.   And once again, I found myself weeping, as I lathered my hair with shampoo, of all places!  The words to the song stopped me in my tracks and I was lost in 3 minutes of communion with my Savior.

I cried,  and I prayed.  I was reminded of what God did in my heart and in my marriage.  I wept with joy,  my heart full of thankfulness.  I am so grateful that I am redeemed and being made new.

And wouldn't you know it, as soon as the song ended, the bathroom door opened and my little window to heaven closed. But through it all, I had peace. I remained thankful and just flowed with the drama that is my family.

This is the song that left me in tears.  I am still praying that I will never stop being brought to tears through music.  I want to always remember and be grateful to my God.  He is so good.  He took my guilt.  He took my shame.  He took my sin.  He took my punishment.

The healing has begun...and I'll show my scars to the world.

I'm the proof.




1 comment:

  1. Yea for 3 minutes!
    Your transformation is beautiful.

    I featured you on my blog this week.
    Come check it out.
    ~Naila Moon

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/09/featured-friday-sept-20-2012.html

    ReplyDelete