Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Moved to tears...again...

I can honestly (with some degree of shame) say that in 11 years, I have never once shed a tear listening to any of the 9/11 coverage or stories.  I have never wept listening to someone's story from that day.

Until today.

It isn't that I'm not a patriotic person (though I am not highly patriotic).

It isn't that I am cold and unfeeling (though in certain scenarios we all know that I am!).

I think that it is easy for those of us who are far away from the scenario, who did not lose anyone we knew, to be just that...far away.  It was an awful time for our nation.  Yes, of course I felt sadness because of the lives lost and those left to carry on without their loved ones.  It was a tragic moment in our nation's history.

But I had just given birth to Kaleb, and was depressed before, during and after his birth.

He was 12 days old the day our nation changed forever.

I followed the news coverage, holding him in my arms and watching as the first tower collapsed.  I sat there in a mixture of awe and horror.  I didn't realize the full implications at the time.  I didn't know anyone in New York or Pennsylvania.  I wasn't immediately worried for the life of a loved one.  Kris and I sat in our beat up red Corsica talking about the attacks, while Kaleb slept in his carseat in the back.  I don't even remember what we talked about.  We, like the rest of the nation, were just trying to process what had happened and what it might mean.  Would there be more attacks?  Would we be impacted by future attacks at some point?  There were no answers, and we went about our days, quickly falling back into routine.  He with school and work.  Me with Katherine, who wasn't one yet, and a newborn baby.

But today, as I drove back home after dropping the girls off for drama club (did I mention that Abbey got the part of Tiny Tim-who they are changing to Tina?!?), I was listening to JoyFM, trying to win tickets to that secret concert they are giving away this week.  I had no idea that I would be overcome with weeping.

I listened as they played a tribute song, with different people talking in between.  You know the kind I'm talking about.  Music interspersed with the voice of President Bush and other religious leaders or individuals. I was perfectly composed through all of this.  Again, feeling somewhat distant from the entire thing because I was not directly impacted by the attacks.

But then, they played this story.  I could not remember the man's name but as I listened to his testimony, his STORY from being in Tower 1 that day, I couldn't stop crying.  His story was so moving and so powerful.  I was kicking myself for not remembering his name when all was said and done, so that I could actually point you in the right direction to hear his testimony.

I decided to turn JoyFM on through my computer, still hoping to win tickets to the concert, but also hoping that maybe they would mention who the testimony was from.  As soon as I turned it on, I heard one of the hosts say that the phones were ringing off the hook with people trying to find out WHO had been telling his story.  They said his name and I immediately "Googled" him so that I could hopefully at least give you a link to read about his story.

Have you ever seen any of these "I Am Second" videos?  I've seen a few of them.  I really like them.  The story I heard this morning was told by a man named Sujo John.  After 9/11, it is obvious that his life was profoundly different.  He has an "I Am Second" video and I wanted to share that with you.

I am amazed, because I know that this is not the ONLY story like this.  God took a horrible tragedy and brought about so much good.  He didn't cause the 9/11 attacks.  Like Tony said in his sermon on Sunday morning (9/9/12), I too believe that God weeps.  He wept over each life lost that day.  He wept for the families and friends left to grieve.  He wept for a nation that has strayed so far from Him.  God cares about His children.  We are ALL His children.

I wanted to share this morning Sujo John's story.  You can see his "I Am Second" video here.  Or watch it below.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful video! Such a miraculous story. I think of ALL the survivors of 9-11...there are hundreds of stories that would move us to tears. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete