Friday, September 23, 2011

Are you kidding me?

If you are familiar with my blog, or the Huckaba family, you know that they are dear to my heart.  If you have no clue what I am talking about, 6 years ago on July 28th, five people died in a horrific car accident on Interstate 44, in Eureka, MO near Six Flags.  Angi Huckaba, two of her sons (Jacob and Josh), as well as Angi's sister and brother, in a van on their way to Six Flags were rear-ended and killed.  I've written about it before.  Angi was a friend of mine and both Katherine and I had the blessing of talking to her on the phone the day before she died.  I think back to that day Kris told me what had happened and still remember the shock and the disbelief.  I think often about Shawn (Angi's husband) and Alex, their oldest son, both of whom survived and have managed to somehow press on through these last six years.  I can't drive past the funeral home in St. Charles without a heart full of sadness and I can't drive past that section of I-44 in Eureka without looking at the 5 crosses in front of Steak 'n Shake that mark the spot where they lost their lives.  Several times I have stopped and just stood there, in front of the crosses, remembering Angi and her boys.  Touched the crosses, as if I can somehow find a trace of their lives still lingering there.


Yesterday, Shawn discovered that the crosses were missing.  No one seemed to know why.  Until today.  Until Shawn got a letter from the city of Eureka.  I did get his permission to share this letter here and after you are done reading it, I am asking you, pleading with you, if you know this family or live in the area, PLEASE take some sort of action to contact the city of Eureka.  It is outrageous, what they are saying in the letter, and why they removed the crosses.  It was heartless and in my opinion, just plain WRONG.  This is the letter he received:


Mr. Huckaba:

The City has received a number of complaints regarding the crosses (mostly verbal, with a few in writing). The issues raised varied, including questioning the appropriateness of them being there and that they are distracting drivers. While there are likely many opinions regarding their appropriateness, having been placed on notice by numerous parties that the crosses are potentially causing drivers to be distracted while viewing them, the Board of Aldermen directed that they be removed. It would certainly be both tragic and ironic for there to be a traffic accident as a result of that which was erected following a traffic accident. The section of I-44 that was dedicated in honor of your family will of course remain as a memorial. We have retained the crosses, and will keep them for 30 days if you are interested in retrieving them. They are in a small wooden fenced area at the southwest corner of our building. You are welcome to retrieve them whenever you wish, including after business hours.

Regards,
Craig
__________________________________________________________

Craig E. Sabo
City Administrator
City of Eureka
100 City Hall Drive
P.O. Box 125
Eureka, MO 63025-0125
636-938-5233
636-938-4080 (FAX)
cesabo@eureka.mo.us



Are you kidding me????  First of all...it's absurd.  The crosses, a distraction?  Maybe.  But not a BAD one.  A distraction that screams for people to SLOW DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION BEHIND THE WHEEL!  An entire family was lost that day and to remove the crosses because there have been some complaints is stupid at best, in comparison with what happened that day.

BEYOND THAT...I can't get over the wording in that letter.  The part that said "It would certainly be both tragic and ironic for there to be a traffic accident as a result of that which was erected following a traffic accident."  What happened that day was MORE than just a "traffic accident".  And the inclusion of that statement is any number of things.  Insensitive.  Ignorant.  Ridiculous.  I'm infuriated!  How many traffic accidents were there on that section of the highway BEFORE 7/28/05?  I am uncertain of the number, but I remember reading the articles about all the accidents on that section of I-44 before that day.  Enough that they lowered the speed limit through that area.  Enough to draw the attention of the news and changes to be made.  I have not heard of an accident happening in that area in the last six years.  That is not to say that there haven't been any, but that raises a question in my mind.  HAVE there been any traffic "accidents" in that area in the last six years, and furthermore, have they resulted in the loss of FIVE YOUNG LIVES??

Shawn indicated that the dedication of that section of the highway was also done by MODOT, and NOT the City of Eureka.  So they (the city and/or its representatives) have no right to act as if they had something to do with it.  As if they were responsible for that act, and that it should be sufficient enough to smooth things over and make it acceptable for the crosses to be removed.  Do they think that six years is enough time for family and friends to grieve over the losses?  There is no time limit on grief.  A part of me will always mourn the loss of their lives.  And I'm not even a close relative, and it's no secret that I had gone months without talking to Angi before she called me the day before she died.  So imagine what those even closer to the situation must be thinking, feeling, and grieving.

Those crosses need to be put back.  It is a reminder to me personally of how short life can be.  Of how in the blink of an eye, you could lose everything.  We are not guaranteed another moment on this earth.  We are not promised another breath.  And those crosses are a somber reminder of not only the lives lost that day, but also that life is too short.  Too short to hold grudges.  Too short to treat people as if they don't matter.  Too short to think that you'll have that chance, someday, to say goodbye or make amends.

I intend to do whatever I can to help ensure that those crosses are replaced.  I am begging any of you who read this, or know and care about the Huckabas, or who want to help to PLEASE write or call the City of Eureka demanding that the crosses be put back where they rightfully belong!

I am not one to get up on a soap box (most of the time) but this is way too close to my heart and I refuse to sit by and watch it happen.  It might be easy for someone who didn't know how amazing this family was, and how incredible the remaining family members ARE to think that the crosses may be inappropriate.  They didn't have to live through the hell of the last six years that Angi's husband, son, parents, and other family and friends have experienced.  But if anything, those crosses, beyond being a way to honor and remember the lives lost that day, have likely saved other lives in the last 6 years because of their presence and that is what I intend to tell the City of Eureka.

3 comments:

  1. For people who want to call... Craig Sabo's ext. is 104

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they allow other crosses along any roads in Eureka? Were those taken down? Sounds like they do not like the reminder of probably one of the most horrific accidents that happened in their town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billboards are a distraction...I guess we need to take them down too!

    ReplyDelete