Saturday, September 24, 2011

Something a little lighter

I realize that my last few posts have been pretty...heavy.  It's been a LONG, draining week!  So I thought that today, just for fun, I would rant again...but this time on a much more light-hearted topic.

Max and Ruby.

Let's talk about that show.  I already have issues with Caillou.  Who wouldn't? I came across an old blog post, back from when I was a stay at home mom, when Livvy was just an infant.  During that time, Abbey and I watched a LOT of Max and Ruby.  That show always disturbed me.

For those of you who do not know, Max and Ruby is a cartoon that comes on Nick Jr.  Abbey used to love this show. I have always wondered why she doesn't listen and why she does exactly what I tell her not to do. I am beginning to wonder if this little kids' cartoon might not have something to do with it.

Ok. Ruby is the older rabbit. She is sister to Max, the younger (obviously) brother. They live together in a house, alone. I'm not sure what happened to their parents, but their grandmother does live just down the road and checks in on them from time to time--I've only heard of or seen her in maybe 2 episodes.

Let me give you an example of what this is teaching today's children.

One episode in particular made me just sort of shake my head. Max was trying to get into the refrigerator to get a snack but Ruby came up to him and said "It's time for a bath Max." So they go up and Ruby helps get Max in the tub. While she goes out of the room to go and get towels, Max goes downstairs and gets some sherbet out of the fridge. He takes it back up and into the bath and dumps it into the water. Ruby comes back in and says "Oh Max"--that is her typical phrase, used many times in each episode. She lets the water out and puts clean water back in. She tells Max to stay in and she leaves again to go and do something. Max, of course gets back up and goes back and gets a different color of sherbet 
this time, but before he can get in the bathtub with it, Ruby stops him and sets it down on a stool near the tub. Then, (doesn't she seem a little stupid by now??) she leaves the room AGAIN! Max, of course, gets the sherbet and starts playing with it in the tub. It spills and the water instantly changes color. So this continues...maybe 2 or three more times....why Ruby doesn't just stay in the bathroom the entire time and just bathe Max I don't know! But that was it. There was no lesson at the end, or if there was I missed it. Max just kept doing what he was not supposed to and Ruby kept saying "Oh Max." Max also always has some key word that he uses all the time and that's all he says. I don't remember what the word was in this one...probably "snack" or "food" or something like that. This show teaches NOTHING to our children, and let's face it.  It's more annoying than entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment