Friday, December 30, 2005

Ok...don't panic. My perspective is much better this morning than it was yesterday. I feel equipped to tackle another day as 'mommy'--although when they say it, it is more like "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!" and someone is hurt or mad!

We went to see the Titanic exhibit last night at the science center. I think the kids were bored, but they did really good considering that we walked around this thing for about an hour. It was really interesting. They had replicas of different things...like the third class room, the luxury first class room, the great staircase, things like that. They also had artifacts that had been found and preserved from the wreckage. I think the coolest part (for the kids anyway) was this large block of ice shaped like an iceberg. You could touch it and there was a sign that said that the temperature in the water the night the ship sank was colder than the ice that was there. It's unfathomable, how the people in the water endured their bodies being submerged in the icy water. And, obviously, most were unable to endure long enough since the majority lost their lives by being frozen in the water. Could you imagine coming across that sight? It seems to me that the scene in the movie Titanic probably did not even come close to what it really looked like that night.

I asked Katherine when we were done if she liked it at all. And she said 'no'. Then she said "Except for maybe the dishes." They had recovered a number of dishes and a couple of large pans from the kitchen...so this is what she was referring to. When I told Kris about it later, Katherine was still beside me and she was explaining why she liked the dishes. She told us "It's because I want to cook a lot when I grow up."

I think the most interesting part is that they gave us a card when we first went in. It had a name of a passenger on their, what class they were in, how they got their tickets, where they were from, who they were with and where they were headed. And when we got it, I thought it was neat that they were doing that, so that we could be a part of the story in a 'real' way. But then, at the end, they had a list on the wall (divided by class) of all the people who lived and died, so you could look on the list and find your 'name' and see if you had lived or died. It was really interesting. Abbey's person died, and so did Kris. Katherine and one of her sons and 2 friends survived...but one of her sons died. It was a really creative idea.

They had 'quotes' up on the walls randomly...things people said before leaving on the Titanic and things that were said in the midst of the accident. There were two that really stood out to me. A woman in first class was told to get in a lifeboat, but her husband wasn't there and she said "We have lived together all these years and we will die the same way. Together." And then, on the other extreme was the captain saying "Every man for himself." Kris tried to tell me that this could have been like a normal sea concept, like if the ship was going down and you knew there was nothing that could be done....but I didn't buy it. The extremes on both of those comments is astounding to me.

Anyway, you're probably as bored as the kids were actually having to experience it...but I liked it. What I thought was interesting, and Kris had made a comment about it too...when you were all the way through at the very end there was a store...full of titanic stuff...yet another way to make money off of tragedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment