Monday, November 21, 2005

A duck was the culprit with the bird flu thing. H5N1 virus--the bird flu. "It could be a catastrophe." The chances of getting a vaccine if there is an outbreak of the bird flu is likely to be 0. Worst case scenario-2-300,000 people could die in the US. The best hope to stop the bird flu is containment. Entire hospital wings WILL turn into isolation chambers. A 2 week quarantine will be required. Retail stores and shopping malls may close. Bank may be drive through only. In a bad outbreak--SCHOOLS WILL CLOSE FIRST! Keep the bird flu away in that case! We'll have to wear masks. Steps to plan for bird flu--buy a mask. They say that you can get more info (especially what steps we can take) on their website. I'm going to check it out.

Here is a line that is on the KMOV website regarding the bird flu: "So far, the virus is not passing from human to human, but if that does happens, there could be millions of deaths worldwide. " This next line just makes me laugh: "In this jet age a human bird virus could spread around the globe in a matter of hours." I understand what they are trying to say, but if you take that sentence as is....um...are there human birds? It seems to me that of course if there were human birds with a virus that yes it could spread quickly, but are we really at risk if there is not even a human bird in existence?

Kris is trying to help me understand this. A guy said that there was a 100% certainty that there would be an outbreak. Kris tells me that basically all that means is that at some point there will be some sort of outbreak of something. The people on channel 4 act like it has already happened and that the danger is imminent. Kris just said we needed to buy masks. Maybe I should start an internet business where I custom design face masks for when the outbreak of the bird flu hits. I wonder if I could make some money that way!

Ok, I don't want you to stop reading my blog because this topic bores you....but I just checked out the website on what we can do to help prevent spreading the bird flu...and it was hilarious. Maybe I should take this a little more seriously....but I just can't. If there is an outbreak of the bird flu--you can all send me a letter scolding me for mocking channel 4's over-exagerrated concern for the bird flu-but make sure you write it in the sunlight and that you are wearing a mask and surgical gloves when you are writing it. Apparently....the bleach and the sunlight will be our friends WHEN (because apparently it will) it stikes. This is the last thing I will put about the bird flu for now....there was a link on KMOV's website: http://www.avian-bird-flu.info/birdfluprotection.html. Take a look at it if you'd like. I found it very amusing. Here are some of my favorite bird flu protection suggestions (things in red and parentheses are my own comments):

If possible make sure all interactions with non-family members take place outdoors in full sunlight. Ultra-violet light kills viruses

Get your groceries and other essential purchases delivered (sounds to me like another way to make money). Keep the transaction in sunlight.

Spray or dip the contents with dilute bleach solution to disinfect. This includes fruits and vegetables. You can always rinse the solution off before eating them (in case you had concerns about eating the bleach solution and wouldn't have thought to wash off the solution).

Wear a flu mask, and insist on others wearing one as well (INSIST!).

Do not touch anyone. (EVER--make sure you avoid any kind of contact with anyone else ever)

After leaving work, you should strip, and shower, before touching anyone.

Leave your clothes outside exposed to sunlight to sterilize. (I guess washing them just will not be enough, even with a bleach solution)

Wash clothes and allow to air dry outside if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment