Sunday, May 1, 2011

Breakfast in bed

I love my kids.  I really do.  I feel like I should preface this post with that.

Earlier in the summer, we had a conversation with them about the weekends.  And letting us sleep in.  They are old enough now that they can take care of themselves for a few hours in the morning.  We have a finished basement with a TV and the rule was that they could get up and go downstairs and watch TV.  They could even get themselves breakfast WITHOUT ASKING and could get the five year old breakfast too.

And yet...they seem to have forgotten.  Perhaps it's time to have the discussion again.  I am so tired of hearing them come in my room before I have any intention of getting up, and trying to have a conversation with me.  Olivia is the worst, because she's five and talks....All.  The.  Time.  The weekends are the only chance I have to sleep in.  And for the last several weeks these crazy kids have made it impossible.  I was ranting on Facebook yesterday about Livvy asking me constant questions that we've already told them several times they do not need permission for!  AHHH!!!!!!

This morning when Olivia came into my room, I was prepared.  I could hear her coming-I'm a light sleeper-and so I barely opened my eyes, verified it was her and said "Don't you say a word.  Just go downstairs and watch TV."  And then she did!  So I thought things were good.  I thought I could go back to sleep, which was just foolish, because once I'm awake, I'm awake.  But I was still trying.  Until Kaleb came into my room, holding a bowl of cereal in front of my face.  And while I wanted to appreciate the sweetness of him making me breakfast, I just wanted to scream "GET OUT OF HERE AND LET ME SLEEP!"  I didn't, of course.  I'm crazy, but I'm not cruel.  Most of the time.  I just told him that I really appreciated that he made me cereal but that I was clearly still sleeping and someone else would have to eat it.  Then he carried it away and pretty much demanded that Katherine eat it.

And while I'm ranting...why do the children always ask ME their unnecessary questions first thing in the morning?  They don't go to Kris and ask him a million things or feel this need to talk to him.  It's only me.  Several people have suggested that Kris and I switch sides, thinking that if he is on the outside, they will talk to him.  We used to sleep that way.  It didn't matter.  I could sleep downstairs and instead of going into my room, they would find me.  I could sleep outside and their little selves would just know where I was and they would seek me out.  I swear they would.  *sigh*  The joys of motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment