Thursday, August 16, 2012

The public school outcome

Yes.

My kids are in public.

No.

It was not a spur of the moment decision.

It was not an 'easy way out'.

It was not something that we took lightly.

Up until about a month and a half ago, I had planned to home school.  I kept pestering Kris. "When can I buy the curriculum?"  and "Can I buy it now?"  For one reason or another, he kept putting it off.  I don't say this to cast him in a negative light.  I honestly believe that God was holding him back.  After all, we didn't have the money for the curriculum.  New OR used.

When Kris approached me with our ever-increasing debt and need to increase our income to make sure all the bills continue to be paid, he was trying to figure out a way to make it work.  His company is still struggling.  There are good things on the horizon, but things aren't moving fast enough (for us humans anyway...)  The company isn't growing at the rate we would have liked.  Kris puts in a lot of hours, even when he isn't in the office.  He is constantly thinking of ways to increase business.  He brings work home with him.  The last three weekends in a row it seems that he has had an urgent business matter to at least discuss, if not spend several hours resolving.  I know that it is necessary and ultimately it may be for the best of the company.  But it does happen from time to time.  He is putting in ten hour days now IN THE OFFICE, which we don't necessarily agree upon, but if he thinks it is necessary, I will trust him.

So, I hope that no one is sitting there thinking "Why doesn't he just get a second job?"  He's working 50+ hours with his day job, and he has a client he works for on the side as well.  And, he has us.  He has never been willing to compromise time with us.  I have always loved that about him.

When we began talking about what we could do, I am the one that said "Kris, I can get a job."  I suggested that we put the kids in public school.  I hate to see him worry about money and if I can do something about it, I will.  And the most practical thing for me to do is to get a job.  Not the easiest, as I am finding out, but the best thing for us financially right now.

I feel this need to defend my decision.  And really, I shouldn't have to.  What I choose to do for my kids and their education is my business.  It's just that I have been hearing a lot of "What happened to home school?" and "I thought you were going to home school."  And I'm not irritated or frustrated.  Not like I was a couple of years ago when told that it was NOT God's will for ME to put MY kids in public school.  God chose to provide then, and He is providing now.  It is just not in the form of private school or me teaching the kids at home.  And I am OK with that. So, I shouldn't have to even write this post, and yet I feel like I do.

Look at it as an update.

No, I am not home schooling my kids after all.

Yes, they are in the public school system.

No, I am not worried about them or the quality of their education.

Do you seriously think that after everything God has brought us through, we can't trust Him with our kids too???

And I am thrilled to report that this first week has gone smoothly.  The kids (especially Kaleb, which is HUGE!) are adjusting well and making new friends.  Kaleb and Abbey for sure have already had several conversations with their friends about God and Christianity.  I LOVE IT!  My kids are on a mission field.  And God will take care of them.

So, if any of you are worried about my kids, STOP.

God is good.

God is faithful.

He will continue to pour out His love and mercy and blessings.

And yes...He can still do this with our kids in public school.

God, Kris and I are good with this - so if you are not, you'll just have to take that up with God.

We now return to our regularly scheduled blogging...

3 comments:

  1. Sorry that you felt the need to post this. MIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have to do whats best for you. I was really tempted to send mine to PS this year. Thankfully our homeschool group had a curriculum sale and the things that weren't sold towards the end of it ended up free. That's how we were able to have all the subjects we needed this year. Now if we at some point move to a great school district I would have no problems with them going. Glad things are going so well for them.

    ReplyDelete