Monday, October 8, 2012

Juggling time

So, I mentioned briefly in the last post that I got a job.

There are some reasons I haven't written too much about it.

The superficial, untrusting-of-God part of me is nervous that I'll get fired after three days for no apparent reason.

The other part of me is wanting to be professional and make sure that I am presenting this new company I am working for in the best light.  By not mentioning their name and details, etc...

I can say this:

I start a new job tomorrow, after being unemployed for 14 months.  It's been a long few months of job searching, but the search is finally over and God has blessed me with a good job.  The hours aren't ideal in some ways but we'll make it work.

Thinking about starting this new schedule (10AM-7PM, M-F), I am beginning to freak out.  I'll write about it, realize how non-trusting I'm being, then surrender it to the only One who can give me peace about it.  It'd be really nice if that was my first inclination, but as human and still figuring all of this out, I'm just not there yet.  OK?

I'll have to get the kids off to school.  It's the least I can do since my husband is leaving for work at 6:30.  Poor guy.  One day, Livvy & Abbey have to be at drama at 8AM, then choir on a different day at 7:30.  One day a month, (this week in particular, of course, happens to be the day-Friday) Kaleb has to be at school at 8AM for student council.  So somehow I have to balance getting people places, and getting others on the bus with getting myself ready for work, getting dinner started so it's one less thing my husband has to worry about, and leaving the house (if I've had a chance to go home after dropping kids off) again by 9:15, to get to work by 10am.  That is leaving myself enough time to hit up QT for my tea, of course!

I'll then work until 7pm (with a one hour break for lunch-maybe I'll write then?), have about a 30 minute commute home, and get home just in time for the nightly routine of spending time with each kid, one on one.  After that, maybe I'll get to spend some time with my husband.

And I haven't even factored in the fact that we eat at my mother-in-law's house on Mondays, which I will be late to.  The kids have AWANAs on Tuesday nights, which won't impact me, but is one more thing my husband has to take on.  Thursday nights I will have to figure out a way to meet my husband to grab the kids, on my way home from work, so he can go to a men's group.  Friday nights we have a group we are in at church that we both really love.  That leaves Wednesdays as the only free night we even have.

We've talked about cutting something out, but when we try to figure out what, we have no answer.  Monday nights are a must.  It's tradition now and while I will get there late each week, we don't want to stop meeting there for dinner (hey one less meal to worry about right?)

Tuesday nights are the only one we've thought we could maybe cut out.  BUT, because the kids are no longer in private school, it's the only time they would have to get together with others and memorize Scripture.  We could, and might, institute something with their homework where they memorize Scripture at home, then we have another free night.  But the men's group on Thursday nights, in my opinion, is non-negotiable, as is our Friday night group.

All of this to say, I am already looking forward to the weekend.  Just not THIS weekend.  Katherine turns 12 and it is her year to have a sleep over, so Friday night into Saturday should be interesting.  So help me if anyone throws up this time...

And Sunday we have plans too.  So, I guess really, I'm looking forward to the NEXT WEEKEND!  Only twelve more days!

I know that we aren't the only ones with a crazy schedule.  How do you balance your time and still make time to build your relationship with your spouse and God?  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment