Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Using Your Story

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 6:8

While watching The Hunger Games for the first time, I was really moved by Katniss volunteering as tribute, when her little sister's name was called.  I can remember sitting in the theater, crying.  I made the connection that I am sure many other have made.  It was a connection that I failed to see when I read the books themselves.

The Hunger Games revolves around a tribute being required, a sacrifice essentially, to remind the people of their past.  Of their history, where District 13 rebelled against the Capitol.  Upon doing so, District 13 was completely destroyed.  Rarely would any child want to be chosen to compete in The Hunger Games.

So when they announce that Primrose Everdeen is to be the female tribute from District 12, her older sister Katniss, unable to watch her sister face that fate, blurts out, "I volunteer!"  She rushes forward and says more firmly, "I volunteer as tribute!"  The book and movie continues, with Katniss taking the place of her sister in The Hunger Games.  Giving herself as a sacrifice, a tribute, in a fight to the death.

I love this picture.

Does Katniss sound like anyone else we know?

We were all in need of someone to save us.  We needed a sacrifice.  We owed the punishment (which was death) for our sin.  We deserved it.
But Jesus, unwilling to see us endure that kind of death, rushed forward and volunteered to take our place on the Cross.

A couple of weeks ago, a man preached about the Super Bowl.  While I couldn't get past the comparison to running the race/we're in our own Super Bowl, I came away with a few concepts that I had to write down, and need to remember.

The definition of persevere is to know the goal; don't lose sight of the finish line.

So, as we go forth and run this race, there are several things we need to remember:

*We need to know the course we are called to run.

*We can't let anything slow us down.

*We have to remember those who have finished well - Paul being a good example of this.

*We need to think less of our PAIN and more of God's approval.

*We cannot let fear control us.

If the man preaching can compare our Christian life to the Super Bowl, then I can compare whatever I want to The Hunger Games.  I can't even explain to you how clearly I see Jesus through this section of the book.  When our names were called to fight to the death, knowing we'd likely die because our sin was so great, Jesus yelled out "I volunteer."  He looked at us and with pain and compassion in his eyes, he said "I volunteer as tribute!"

The Hunger Games aside, the man preaching mentioned how the enemy uses our failure to distract us. This is something I have been well aware of, and I realize how Satan likes to use the pain and mistakes of our past to keep up from moving forward.  He wants to keep us trapped there, held in sin and shame.

But the preacher said something too that just really hit home for me.

Failure is NOT final !

Do you believe that?

Think about it.

How many times have you "failed" or made a mistake, and then allowed that mistake to consume you?  I can't even remember the number of times I made mistakes, and still make them today.  But I have learned in this last year that failure indeed is NOT final!

It is not final because we had a tribute volunteer to take our failure and nail it to the Cross.  He walked the road to death that we rightfully deserve, and took our place.  He loved us too much to watch us face death.

He also loves us too much to let our failures and past mistakes control our thoughts and future actions. So if you fall down, if you stumble and make mistakes, GET BACK UP.  Your life is not over and God can use those failures and your past to bring healing and encouragement to other people who are where you were.

Use your story, no matter how ugly it is, and always remember this:





No comments:

Post a Comment