Sunday, November 20, 2011

Don't touch my cup!

We went to a Thanksgiving dinner at our old church tonight, and at the end, I was fully engaged in conversation with my friend Tara.  I mean...we're talking, completely absorbed.  She's actually quite delightful and we were discussing the wonderful joys of being perfect mothers, with perfect children, which we both have and are.  It was very intense.

So as we are talking, out of the blue, Tara inexplicably reaches for my 52 oz refill cup from QuikTrip.  And you could say that I "kind of" FREAKED OUT.

You know that expression "A picture is worth a thousand words?"  I can guarantee that if Tara could have taken my picture in that moment when I THOUGHT she was stealing my cup as she gathered up TRASH to throw away, it would have been quite the sight.  She could likely make good money off of that picture!  From my point of view, she was trying to pick up last remnants of trash from the table to throw it away.  Never mind that the other object she picked up was a game one of my kids had left at the table.

All I knew is that she was trying to take my cup.  No one takes my refill cup.  That's mine.  For refills.

The reality is that someone was trying to remove the tablecloth and Tara was merely trying to PICK UP my items and then was planning to put them back down once the tablecloth was removed (or so she would have me believe).

She described the look on my face as a "look of horror" as she reached for my QT cup.  Honestly...I WAS freaking out a bit.  Why on earth was she taking my QT cup to the trash???  It only took moments for all of this to occur and once we both realized what had transpired...it became extremely hilarious.  I'll admit...my response was a *little* extreme.  I take my tea very seriously.  Or rather, my refill cups.  Nobody touches my refill cups.  Apparently.  I had no idea I was as attached to that empty cup as I was.  I think I might have a problem...


Tara, feel free to explain the scenario from your point of view!

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! I'd say your depiction was pretty accurate. And yes, I was planning to put both items (the game and your precious cup) back down on the table once the table cloth was removed. Never again. lol I was a bit scared for my life. I'm glad the forks were gone already, because I may have lost an eye. Like I said earlier, you definitely made your boundaries clear. QT refill cup: OFF LIMITS! noted! Oh and I feel so privileged. I made the blog! Woot!

    ReplyDelete