Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lunchtime laughter

Kris and I are travelling with Abbey and Katherine today. They've been pretty quiet. There is a HUGE difference NOT having Olivia in here with us! That girl talks NON-STOP. Kat and Abbey are pretty quiet and occupy themselves well. We stopped at Applebees for lunch. I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't see this sign first-I'll blame it on being tired. But I am thrilled that Kris saw it and pointed it out. You guys know how much I like to find 'odd' signs and write about them. I'm not going to tell you what store we saw this sign on--you can guess and we'll see if anyone gets it right!



My first thought upon reading this was "Um, no thanks. I have enough of my own." Well of course Kris and I were laughing about this sign and talking about it with the kids. My second thought (as we were far away at the time we saw the sign) was "I wonder what the fine print says." So of course I had Kris drive us over so I could get a better picture of it. So, tell me why they put SEE STORE FOR DETAILS in ALL CAPS and then directly underneath it they repeat it, yet without the emphasis of ALL CAPS? Seriously...frazzled mothers out there...if you need a place that will give away your children for you, I know where you can go!

During the course of our lunchtime conversation centered around this 'interesting' sign, Abbey somehow found her way to the following statement: "Mrs. Smith told us that when we have kids they are going to be just like us." I told her that was exactly right! So she asked me how she was like me. I told her that when I was a little girl all I wanted to do was get married and have babies and that is how she was like me. Then she started being silly and proclaimed "I'm going to sell my babies!" Kris informed her that was illegal. We then proceeded to have a conversation about selling babies and Abbey told us that she was going to have a garage sale to sell her babies and she would sell them for $1. It's good to laugh and besides being absolutely adorable, Abbey is the best when it comes to bringing laughter and absolute joy to our lives. Don't get me wrong...the others bring much joy too...but there is just something about the way that Abbey talks and thinks and just *is* that just light up any room she is in. She is truly living up to her name: Father's Joy.

When we got back on the interstate after lunch, Kris saw a sign that said "Pedestrians, animals, and bicycles prohibited." So we were joking around about what they do about the animals, seeing as how animals can't read and we're in the mountains, where animals will be abundant. I kid you not...within less than a minute we saw a dead deer on the side of the road. I guess they are pretty serious about enforcing those rules! Seeing that, I definitely will NOT be walking or cycling on Interstate 64!!!

Kris is perplexed right now. He's musing that he keeps seeing signs that tell him Virginia (which we have just now entered) is monitoring his speed with all types of different devices (radars, aircraft, etc...), but he has yet to see an actual speed limit sign! Seriously...what is the speed limit here? We're 7 miles into VA and can't tell if it is 65 or 70.

On a side note, Abbey just randomly asked "When we come back from spring break, can I go to the dentist?" Yeah...I love that girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment