Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kids Against Cancer

Every year I participate in a Relay for Life event for a friend who sells Tastefully Simple. This year I went with my "pink ribbon" headbands and my "other" business (my night job), and Katherine went with me. She was very helpful!


It was during this event, listening to my friend Rhonda talking about Relay that Katherine decided she wanted to start her own Relay team. We talked about it and the team has officially registered! We now have 9 people on our team. Granted, 6 of them are my family, and 3 are my brother-in-law, my mother-in-law and her husband, but it's a start! :-) Our team goal is $1500 and our team name, decided by Katherine and me is Kids Against Cancer. We will be setting up several fundraisers over the next 125 days. Our event is on Aug. 3. If you are interested in joining our team, you can do so here, or give a donation.

Just as a little background, my brother-in-law Brandon was diagnosed with testicular cancer back in 2005 and is currently in remission.


Katherine's motivation was based on her just naturally being kind-hearted and compassionate, as well as in honor of a boy that died of leukemia from her second grade class 3 years ago.  I am so proud of her for stepping up at eleven years of age and wanting to be a part of this.

All four kids are signed up and each have their own goals.  Kaleb set his for $30, Katherine and Abbey for $50 and Olivia (age 6) declared that she would raise $90.  This was after talking her down from one million and then one hundred.  I tried to get her to choose between $25 and $50 but she was insistent, so $90 it is!  If you are interested in donating to one of the children's goals, please let me know and I will get you to the right place.  The link above is for our team page in general.  The picture featured is my brother-in-law with my kids. We felt it was a fitting picture for the team!


At the fundraising event today, I met an eleven year old girl who also has been gathering a team with her friends at school.  She bought one of my pink ribbon headbands for herself and wants to do a fundraiser with them as well!  Pretty exciting for me, and they're all going to look SO cute with their matching headbands!

No comments:

Post a Comment