Monday, December 19, 2011

Who is Santa anyway?

Each year for the last several years, either my dad or one of my uncles would dress up as Santa for our extended family Christmas get together. This year, (after celebrating with my dad's side of the family which included at least 40+ people with kids) we went back to my parents' house with just my brothers, sister, and all the cousins (our 9 kids). Kris read from Luke 2, as is tradition in our family and kept the kids occupied, while my dad dressed up as Santa.

As soon as he came in, Abbey and Kaleb, amidst the adults saying "Look, Santa's here!" began shouting "Hi Pappaw!!"  Kris and I immediately silenced them, as Olivia and my niece Sophia still believe in Santa.  We explained to them that even though they knew it was Pappaw (my dad), they needed to go along with the magic of Santa for the little ones.  They understood and Santa handed out presents to all 9 grandkids.  As Santa was leaving, Sophia (three) wanted to tell Santa goodbye.  She ran up to him and he picked her up and hugged her, and held her for a few minutes.  Then my mom, wanting to get a picture, said "Turn this way Pappaw."  We all just kind of looked at each other and started laughing and I was like "Why did I just yell at my kids for outing Santa when my mom just gave the secret away?"  

Yesterday I had the privilege of having lunch with an old friend, one that is very special to me.  His name is Chad.  We've been through a lot over the last two+ decades and have had long intervals of not communicating, primarily due to just life in general.  But yesterday, it just so happened that we were in the same place at the same time, and it worked out that we were able to have lunch.  It was really great.  We got to talk and laugh and he got to meet the crazies my kids.  I was a little sad when the visit had to end and we had to drive back home but was very grateful we had the time and opportunity to meet up after all these years.

While we were having lunch, we were talking to Olivia about Santa.  I asked her if she believed in Santa Claus.  She said she did.  She also said that she knew that Pappaw was Santa.  I said "Who told you that?"  She pointed at Abbey or Kaleb.  And so I asked her if Pappaw was going to bring her presents this year on Christmas and she said yes.  I asked how he was going to get there and she said he would drive his car.  I said "Is he going to fly with his reindeer?"  She looked at me (like "seriously mom?") and said "NO! There's no such thing as reindeer."  We continued questioning her, because the conversation was slowly unfolding into something that we all found very amusing.  We asked her "Well, what about your friends? Who is going to bring them presents?"  She replied "Pappaw."  Wait..."Olivia, Pappaw is THE Santa Claus?"  She nodded her head.  I asked her if she was going to tell her friends that my dad was Santa Claus and she said "No.  It's a family secret!"

So...in case you didn't know, my dad is Santa Claus.  Livvy said so.


No comments:

Post a Comment