Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Dreaded *F* Word

Yes.

Today we're going to talk about the *f* word.

That's right.

You read that correctly.

*Fasting*

I know, I know.  I'm just as shocked as you are.

How much do you know about fasting?

And how much of that is true and how much is just some preconceived notion you've had since you were little?

Here are the things I thought about fasting:

You don't get to eat anything.

You have to pray nonstop.

You aren't allowed to tell anyone EVER that you are fasting.

Fasting is something that every "good" Christian is supposed to do, and if you don't do it, or you don't make it the whole way through, you're a failure.

Can anyone relate to those thoughts?

I have always hated fasting.

OK.  Maybe hate is a little strong.

But fasting has always been something I have tried to avoid.  Honestly, I can't remember one time in my life that I have successfully fasted, and I certainly didn't "get it."  What was the big deal?  I never felt more "spiritual."  I never did learn the difference between depriving my body and learning to discipline my body.

I think that because of my incorrect views towards fasting, I have limited my own spiritual growth.  I see this when I watch Katherine, and I listen to her talk about fasting.  She is 12.  TWELVE!  Twelve years old and her heart desires to succeed in the Daniel Fast that our church is participating in.  We aren't required to participate.  Each person can decide for themselves.  Katherine chose to participate in the food portion of the fast.  The other kids have good intentions, but I honestly think that Livvy and Abbey are too immature.

Olivia said she was going to give up playing.  A seven year old little girl is going to stop playing?  She had her doll house, Polly Pockets, Squinkies, Wii and computer on her list of things she would not play.  I think Kris talked her out of her doll house and Polly Pockets, and is trying to help her set a realistic goal.  Because, Olivia being Olivia, found a loop hole.  She didn't put the PS2 on her list, so she decided that it was okay to play.

Abbey chose electronics.  They did this in Sunday school I guess, so we didn't have a chance to really talk to them and help them make a practical decision, should they want to participate.  But later in the afternoon, Abbey wanted to play the PS2 and as parents, we have to decide:  Do we enforce her commitment, or is it between her and God?  Is it a loop hole?  Or is it just because Olivia is making it look tempting?  Kris and I didn't come up with any answers really, but I'm pretty sure that Kris talked to the younger kids, one on one, and they came up with something.  I finally relented and told Kris that I respected him as the spiritual head and would stand behind his decision.  Don't laugh-this is totally true.

Kris and I decided to give the Daniel Fast a try.  I asked him if we (he and I) were even allowed to talk about it at all.  After all, I learned that if you are fasting, you don't tell anyone, ever.  So how, as a couple, can we fast and not talk about it?  The Daniel Fast, for those who don't know, is a limited fast. Some foods are still allowed.  I always loved the story in the Bible where David and his friends are training with the king's men and they ask if they can be fed simple, clean foods, and not what the king wanted them to eat.  That is the principle behind this Daniel Fast.  Eating only vegetables, fruit, "approved" grains, unleavened bread.  No meat.  No dairy.  No beverages aside from water.

I asked Kris if I could write about it, since you aren't supposed to let people know you're fasting.  He gently corrected my misconception.  It was the Pharisees (was it them?) or someone who would fast but walk around talking about how great they were, and how they were depriving their bodies and pretty much better than everyone else.  Talking to people to gain knowledge about the fast and encourage one another is a LOT different than walking around whining about that Little Caesar's pizza commercial I keep seeing and how I can't have it because I'm fasting.  That's the difference.

For the first time in my life, I am willingly participating in this crazy thing called fasting.  My reasons may be different from others.  Some people are fasting from different things.  Some have a list of things/people they are committed to praying for during this time.  For me, I want the growth.  For the first time, I want to grow closer to God and I look forward to each day that I have with Him, and what He will reveal to me.  It's about the spiritual journey.

In the past, I've always been so focused on legalism, the food itself (or lack of), and failure.

Not this time.

I think I finally understand something about fasting that I never did before.

It's meant for my good, not the opposite.

It isn't just about depriving myself of something I love.

It's about that intimacy with our Father, and at this point in my life, I'll take all of that that I can get!  I'm grateful that my church is participating in this and I look forward to where God moves us all through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment